Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of September 4, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of September 4, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Labor Day, I made a beef pot roast with potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in my crockpot. I seasoned it with garlic, Penzey's beef bouillon, black pepper, a Tbs. of tomato paste from a tube, a bit of Worcestershire sauce, a bit of sugar, and rosemary. (Onions are omitted because my husband does not like them.) 3 1/2 hours on high was perfect in my Montgomery Ward crockpot. We ate it for most of the week. On Friday, I made Dilled Salmon and Couscous (recipe posted on this site).

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made a big batch of our favorite chicken salad with grapes on Wednesday which always lasts a couple of days. On Friday night I made delicious sandwiches in the panini - sourdough bread (sadly not made by me, but quality bakery), Black Forest smoked turkey, guacamole, havarti cheese and a smidgen of mayo - they were really, really good!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I wonder how your chicken salad with grapes recipe is compared to the one my wife likes, which also has mandarin oranges and lemon juice? (Yes, I've posted it.)

cwcdesign
          Participant

Mike, mine comes from Sarah Leah Chase's Open House Cookbook. She was attempting to mimic the recipe from the old Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Boston. It was a special treat to go there. My father' family always went there for lunch after funerals. Ha!

Anyway, it's very simple - chicken breast, grapes cut in half, celery, lots of mayo, s&p and the main seasonings are dried thyme and garlic powder which of course wouldn't work in your house. She said that when she was testing the recipe she tried fresh herbs and garlic, but they overwhelmed the salad. I also found that using Penzeys garlic powder I only need half the amount.

I love mandarin oranges. I might have to try that sometime

luvpyrpom
            Participant

With the cooler weather I started to crave my childhood comfort foods. So on Sunday, I made a big pot of Chinese chicken and dumplings soup, invited my sister and her family for lunch. My father had taught me how to make the "dumpling" thin enough that you poured/cut it into the broth. Almost like a spaetzle except bigger pieces. Then on Tuesday, made a stirfry of chicken with wood ears and mushrooms. I don't know if this part falls into cooking or the baking part but I had made orange fig jam a couple months ago and tried it w/prosciutto and sharp white cheddar cheese. Tried it as a sandwich and as a crostini - both were delicious. Then on Friday, made pot roast with carrots. Bakeraunt, we've must've been thinking alike! Mine was a little different as I use onions, celery, a can of Campbells beef consumme. And a couple things I've learned, I always add a small package of beef short ribs and I freeze the previous pot roasts liquid/stock to include for future pot roasts. And if the pot is too big, I then just portion out the beef into containers, add the stock and freeze for future meals.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The recipe my wife likes so much also uses toasted almond slices or slivers. (Toasting them for 4-5 minutes at 350 makes a huge difference in flavor.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.