Daily Quiz for January 26, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for January 26, 2020

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What is kernza?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for January 26, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I have never heard of it, so I guessed and answered incorrectly. Interesting!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I guessed right but I always enjoy the why as Mike explains also.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

UNL isn't one of the institutions in the Kernza project, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a sample of it to try, I've been trying to make a contact at KSU, which has a world-renown grains program. (When Prof. Raymond Calvel decided to take a sabbatical in the USA, he did it at KSU.) They run a number of week-long training programs, but they're a bit pricey, $1800 for the one on grain milling.

I've got some triticale coming this week from the grains researcher in my wife's department.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Ah, but I want to know who put the tribbles in the quadrotriticale?

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Fans of the original Star Trek show will get that reference, of course.

Star Trek's second season was my first year in college. NBC had announced it would not be renewed for a third season that fall, and college campuses across the nation started a petition to get NBC to renew the show. It was successful, and there was a third season before NBC pulled the plug. After the renewal was announced, a number of the organizers of the petition drive, including a friend of mine at Northwestern, received a package from Gene Roddenberry, with a Tribble in it.

I haven't spoken to my friend in many years, I hope he kept his Tribble.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.