Cranberry Banana Nut Bread

Home Forums Recipes Cranberry Banana Nut Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Edited on 10-21-16 to say, please don't take this recipe as exact. I'm in the process of tinkering with it. The recipe below did not yield what my mom made when I was a kid. I regret to say that I don't think she gave me the correct recipe. I made it today without the milk and only 3/4 cups of relish. Since the recipe says to wrap and hold overnight before cutting, I'm going to do that. When I have a loaf I'm willing to give away, I'll let you know the exact measurements I used.

Below is the recipe I have from my mother. My first attempt at making this didn't turn out as I had hoped. The batter was too soupy, and the bread too moist. It's supposed to be a moist bread, just not as moist as this recipe makes it.

2 cups sifted flour (see note below)
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      1 cup cranberry-orange relish
      1 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 large)
      1/2 cup milk
      1/2 stick butter
      1 cup sugar
      1 egg
      1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Measure flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon into a bowl.

Combine bananas & milk in a bowl.

Cream butter with sugar until fluffy in large bowl. Beat in egg. Add dry ingredients alternating with banana-milk mixture, mixing just until blended. Stir in relish & nuts.

Pour into greased 9x5x3" loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes or until done. Cool 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Cool. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Store for 1 day before cutting for best flavor.

NOTE: I never saw my mother make this. I just tasted the final product. I wonder if the "2 cups sifted flour" could be 2 cups, sifted.

NOTE2: Loaf will come out of oven with a rounded top. As it cools, the top will become flat. Every loaf my mom made had a flat top when cooled.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Italiancook.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.