Cookie ideas, please

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Cookie ideas, please

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Aaron--your tip solves a problem for the coconut vs. non-coconut household. My husband has problems with coconut, so I only get to bake coconut cookies when I am taking cookies somewhere or else am baking a small stash for myself. Now I know that I can add some coconut to some of the chocolate chip cookies I bake, and we can both be happy.

Bronx
      Participant

Italiancook,

Sorry I can't help with your danceable cookie recipe request. I don't venture into cookie making land often enough to know what is and isn't dunkable!

RiversideLen,

Those coconut oatmeal cookies sound good. My sister came over and baked my mom's anise cookies at Christmas time. The recipe uses lard and she left the remaining lard with me. I've been wondering what to do with it so I might try your cookies.

They now say lard is healthier for you than shortening. Reminds me of the Woody Allen movie Sleeper:

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."
        Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.
        Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?
        Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.
        Dr. Melik: Incredible.

Bronx

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Bronx - I LOVE "Sleeper" for that reason. There is another line in there when Woody is walking through the cafeteria and sees a bunch of doctors eating huge steaks, swilling martinis, and smoking massive cigars. One of the docs says something like "remember when we thought this stuff would kill you!"

BakerAunt
          Participant

The Anzac cookie recipe, in the KAF Cookie Companion, would be a great dunking cookie. Just be sure to use quick, not old-fashioned, oats. They also keep well.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Interesting, most oatmeal cookie recipes say to use old fashioned oats rather than quick oats.

BakerAunt
              Participant

When I used the old-fashioned oats, there was not enough liquid for the oats to absorb, and the dough did not hold together, in spite of using a cookie scoop. The recipe includes shredded coconut, which also absorbs liquid. When I made the recipe with old-fashioned oats (Bob's Red Mill), they also did not flatten in the oven. However, when I used Bob's Red Mill quick oats, they flattened out nicely.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.