Cooked Egg Yolks in Baked Goods

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Cooked Egg Yolks in Baked Goods

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I saw this interesting short piece on hard boiled egg yolks in pastries:

I have at least one old recipe book that has some recipes that call for hard boiled egg yolk. I'm going to have to give them a try. I also think that I saw such a recipe when I was copying members' recipes, but I co not recall whose recipe it was.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
      S_Wirth
      Participant

The egg yolk thing probably was Laura/4paws2go. Seems I recall her talking on the old BC about this. She had a massive amount of recipes posted under bettina, her oldBC screen name.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've seen a couple of recipes that called for hard boiled egg yolk, but right now I can't remember where I saw them, or even what kind of recipe it was (cake, pastry, etc.) :sigh:

What is done with the whites from the hard boiled eggs when making such a recipe? I can't say I've ever seen a recipe that called for hard boiled egg whites.

S_Wirth
          Participant

There was a scone recipe in the BC discussions and I cannot recall what else.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Mike asked the question I was also wondering about: What do you do with the cooked egg whites? I cannot imagine the thrifty bakers and cooks of yore wasting them.

I remembered seeing hard boiled egg yolks in one of Mumpy's recipes, so I have posted it in the recipe section, along with the comments people made about it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If you poached them rather than hard boil the entire egg, you could separate out the egg white first, and then you could use it in any recipe that calls for egg white, like meringue.

I wish I could remember where I saw that recipe that used cooked egg yolks. I'm pretty sure it was in a cookbook I was reading, not online. I want to say it was a savory recipe, not a bakery item.

S_Wirth
                Participant

We bought 250 chickens each spring when I was a kid. We bought straight runs, meaning about half were roosters that we dressed and put into freezer each summer and the other about half were hens that produced eggs for our egg route in town and eggs sold from home. We had to use up a lot of eggs during warmer months and we made lots of egg salad, potato salad, and bean salad made with kidney beans. All of those could easily use up extra boiled egg whites with no problems at all. We never wasted a thing and that stuck with me all of my life.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.