Cleaning a Cake Container with Moldy Cake

Home Forums General Discussions Cleaning a Cake Container with Moldy Cake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have a large, square plastic cake holder that I love. It was made in Germany, and the brand, I think, is Emsa (hard to read whether it is an "s," a "y," or a "j"). Back in March, when we visited Indiana, it held the last half of my husband's wonderful chocolate cake that I had made. He was supposed to pick it up from the counter and put it in the truck. (I was taking care of the dog.). An hour into the trip home, he realized that he had left it, but he was not willing to go back for it. Our contractor, who has a key, was supposed to go get it and eat it. He forgot. When we arrived last evening, there it was, still in the holder. The cake has a lot of mold on it. It does not seem to be on the container. Here's my question: Is it possible to sanitize the plastic holder so that I will be able to use it again? It is perfect for holding two loaves of bread while they are rising, so I would hate to lose it, and I don't think I can find another one. (It was from T.J. Maxx maybe six or seven years ago.)

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Is it dishwasher safe? If so, that should take care of it, especially if your dishwasher has a sani-cycle setting. But if that'd melt or warp it, try soaking it in bleach for an hour or two.

skeptic7
        Participant

I'd wash it with hot water and soap, a couple of times first. How do you feel about strong chemicals? If you are trying to avoid them, let it soak in a vinager and water solution, then let it sit in the sun. The ultraviolet in the sun should kill the mold and the smell.
          If you don't worry that much about chemicals, disinfect with a mild bleach solution and then sun it to kill the odor.

Also keep an eye out for another container in thrift stores, you might be lucky and it wouldn't hurt to have a spare

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thanks to all for the advice. I put my husband to work washing it and sanitizing it with a bleach solution. We will put it on the porch table where it will get plenty of sun tomorrow. I think that it will be ok, as the cake was on a plate and did not touch the container. There did not seem to be mold on it, and my husband took it outside to open it up. As for the cake, my husband gave it a decent burial in the backyard.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.