Canning Blueberry Pie Filling Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Canning Blueberry Pie Filling Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Canning Blueberry Pie Filling

Today I tried making blueberry pie filling to can in a quart jar. I used the recipe from this site, to which Randy D. has posted the link in the past:
      http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_pie/blueberry_filling.html

I usually tried making a half recipe, refrigerating it, and making Ken Haedrich's blueberry hand pies a day or two later. This time, I made the "quart" recipe, with the idea of saving it to use in the winter. Well, I just made it, and the recipe only yielded about three cups, so I will not be able to can it in the quart jar into which I had put it. I had always thought that this recipe was a little on the scant side when I halved it, but I attributed that to my having changed things when I halved it. Once it cools, I will need either to refrigerate it and use it in the next couple of days or freeze it
      And now for my question: When I make this recipe again--and that will not be until next year when I can pick more berries--could I just double the 1 quart recipe, in order to insure that I get at least one quart to can? I know that canning recipes do not always work that way. This recipe makes either 1 quart or 7, with no in-between amounts given.
      posted by: bakeraunt on August 07, 2015 at 11:45 am in General discussions

reply by: Rascals1 on August 07, 2015 at 3:17 pm
      That's the way I always canned my fruit for pies, I've never tried 1 qt. at a time and I always tossed extra fruit in for safe keeping. Mixed it all in big canning pan then dipped it in jars to can 7 qt at a time.

For multiples just increase 1 qt. recipe till you have number of qt. you want.
      Must of been small wild blueberries.

reply by: bakeraunt on August 07, 2015 at 9:38 pm
      Rascals1: Maybe that's it. Maybe the recipe was written for tiny blueberries. Our blueberries here were from a local farm in Indiana that has pick your own. Their berries are sweeter than any I've had anywhere else. We are at our vacation (future retirement) home here, so all of my major cooking and baking gear is back in Texas. I'm not sure that I could have done 7 quarts at once with the pans here. I'll take your advice next year and just double the recipe. That should give me a quart jar, and maybe a pint jar. Or maybe I'll just do pints.

reply by: kaf-sub-rius on August 09, 2015 at 7:23 am
      I've done this with apple pie filling and never had a problem raising or lowering the recipe volume.

reply by: bakeraunt on August 09, 2015 at 9:53 am
      Thanks, Sub-rius, I will either double or triple the recipe when I make it next year, and throw in some extra blueberries as Rascals1 suggests.

reply by: horses272 on August 17, 2015 at 4:27 am
      Yes, you can double the recipe for canning. Blueberries can be a bit tricky to can, some varieties do not can well, they have more moisture in them than others and cook down to zipp. I can the Collins variety with good results.

reply by: bakeraunt on August 17, 2015 at 11:54 am
      Horses: Thank you for the comment. This variety of blueberries probably do have a lot of water. I baked two pies this summer. The first had a very runny filling, and while the second was better, clearly I needed the full amount of instant ClearJel for it. Next year I will ask the people who run the farm what the variety is. There was also a lot of rain this year, so maybe that affected the berries

The filling I made was pretty thick, which works well for the hand pies. If I were going to bake a regular pie, it would have been too thick.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.