Calcium–and Saturated fat–in Dairy Products

Home Forums General Discussions Calcium–and Saturated fat–in Dairy Products

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I just tried to post this, and it disappeared. I will try again, and keep a copy.

I used to buy nonfat milk that was listed as having 35% daily requirement of calcium (350mg) for 1 cup. At some point, the calcium was lowered to 30%. I thought that perhaps there had been a recalculation of guidelines. I switched to 1% milk a couple of years ago, and it was listed as 30% or 300mg calcium. I looked at the calcium on a bottle last week, same brand (Gandy's) and observed that calcium is now listed at 25% or 250mg.

I've noted a similar reduction in listed calcium in buttermilk. Gandy's buttermilk used to state 40% or 400mg calcium. It now states 35%. I can't get half-gallon bottles of buttermilk in the local store--they say Gandy's doesn't send them--and the quart bottles are more expensive. I also noted that they now list the saturated fat in 1 cup as 2g, whereas before it was 1.5g.

I've started buying my buttermilk at the town 30 minutes north of here when we do our grocery run about every three weeks. Aldi's does not carry buttermilk. Walmart has a different brand, but it has 2.5g saturated fat per cup. At Kroger, I found that their brand has 1.5g saturated fat. It's calcium is listed at 30% or 300mg.

What I want to know, if anyone has the answers:

1. Why is the calcium content of the milk changing to include less calcium?

2. Why do so many manufacturers ADD saturated fat to buttermilk, which is supposed to be low-fat?

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

When they process milk, they actually remove all the fat from it and then add it back in according to what kind of milk it's destined to be. Maybe it's done that way for consistency?

BakerAunt
        Participant

But why increase the amount of saturated fat in a product like buttermilk, which by its nature should be low in saturated fat?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.