Bread Bags

Home Forums General Discussions Bread Bags

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

A friend was sending me a book and had room in the box to pack other items, so she sent a large amount of bread bags. (I think the family went through a baking your own bread phase.) These are tinted slightly, a kind of brownish pink. I asked her about them, and they are called "Forever Bread Bags," which the advertisement claims are extra thick and "all bread stays fresh longer." Bags are re-useable up to 20 times.

I will use them, as I do the regular clear ones that I have from King Arthur, but I am not sure that I buy the hype.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I used to buy plastic bread bags at the grocery store, but they don't always have them on the shelf and they won't fit a long loaf of bread, like from a 13 inch pullman pan.

Some years ago I bought several boxes of gusseted plastic bread bags at a bakery auction. There were two sizes of them and it took me a long time to use them up.

After that I bought a case of gusseted bread bags from International Plastics. They're big enough to hold most of my free-form loaves as well as the pullman pan loaves which are 4x4x13 inches. They aren't big enough to hold a large Challah, though.

I'll order them again when I run out, probably some time next year, but will probably order the slightly thicker version next time, these occasionally rip along a seam. I haven't priced them lately, but a case of 1000 bags cost me under $50 last time, with shipping.

I also have some micro-perforated bags that are sized for baguettes, I got them from Clear Bags. They're supposed to have breathing characteristics similar to paper bags. Because they're sized for baguettes, they won't fit bigger breads, though I've used them for bagels.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks Mike and BA. I need an alternative source for bags other than KAB. Clear bags is okay but I couldn't find regular, plastic bread bags like I buy from KAB.

BA - why aren't regular, plastic bread bags reusable? I do it. My mom did it with the bread she bought from the grocery store. Not sure why you need a special bag to reuse it.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

International Plastics probably has the widest selection of bread bags, ranging from 8 inches deep to 30 inches deep.

I like their gusseted bags: BR-HI1019 5.5 x 4.75 x 19 1 mil is the slightly thicker bags, last time I ordered the .65 mil thick bags, and I think the thicker ones might be worth the extra cost.

They're big enough to hold most breads I make, the exception being some of the larger Challas. They probably wouldn't hold a large boule like a 4 pound miche, but I seldom make breads that big. They have several larger bags.

If I need a really large bag, I have ones that will hold a full sized sheet pan. I've used them to hold a full slab of ribs or a brisket I was marinating.

It takes me a long time to go through a case of 1000 bags, I last ordered them in 2015.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Thanks. I'll check out International Plastics.

Am I the only one who re-uses bread bags? I use turkey-size roasting bags to raise dough, especially in the final proof and I've used those over and over.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I don't reuse them a lot, because I think that leads to the bread going moldy faster, and we probably lose close to a quarter of our bread to mold because we just don't eat it fast enough. I have been known to rinse them off and turn them inside out to reuse them, or to turn them inside out to get rid of the moisture that collects in the bag when you freeze bread.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Aaron--I do indeed re-use bread bags. I like to let them air dry after use. I have three different sizes that I bought some years ago from King Arthur. I was not in need of more bread bags, but my friend clearly wanted them out of her house and into mine.

I double wrap bread in saran, then pop them into a bag, before freezing. I re-use the bags--and the saran (from sandwich breads, not muffins), which I will wrap around an empty saran roll.

I usually store bread in a large Tupperware container. The bread keeps well for about five days, and we go through loaves, when we are both having sandwiches about every 4-5 days. Some larger loaves go into other plastic containers, but sometimes a bag is the best storage, and when I give bread away, I bag it. At one time, I thought that I might sell it at the farmers market, but there is now a bread baker there, and I'm not sure that I could do it cost effectively, since I am so far from good prices on flour.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Mike - I just checked my KAB bags and they do not tell the thickness. They are thicker than samples I've received from other places so I would guess they are closer to 1 m. Thanks for the tip.

BA - I used to wrap bread in plastic wrap first but I don't anymore. I do that with cakes and scones but not bread.

I put desiccant packs in my bread bags to absorb some of the moisture.
                    I also save twist ties to close the bags.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I wonder if KAB customer service has information on the thickness?

I used to get 10x14 Hy-Vee house brand bread bags but I haven't seen them there in quite a while, like so many grocery store products they just vanished. (Box doesn't indicate thickness.) They aren't as deep as the gusseted bags I buy, but they're hold a somewhat larger (though shorter) loaf.

Another item that appears to have vanished is the Glad Handle-tie 13 gallon trash bags, about all I can find are ones with a tear strip for closing or drawstring bags.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.