Article on best way to hard boil eggs

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Article on best way to hard boil eggs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My wife found this web page testing several different ways of hard boiling an egg:

hard boil an egg.

I don't plan to change my current technique as a result of reading it, though. I do them on an induction cooker, turning off the heat when it gets to a full rolling boil, which takes under 10 minutes, and letting them sit in that for 19 minutes. I put some baking soda in the water, I think it helps make them easier to peel, although using 'old' eggs is probably the best method in general, since some of the liquid evaporates, leaving more of an air bubble inside.

I tried the shaking method once to get them to peel easily, the eggs fell apart. Maybe I shook them too hard?

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I won't be changing my way of doing eggs either. I put the cold eggs into cold water and bring to a boil. Let sit, covered. Original directions said something like 20 minutes, but I always just forget and leave them, often foe an hour or more. Empty the pot and fill with cold water. Let sit while I gather up my equipment, ingredients. Crack the shell and roll the egg around on the ceramic kitchen sink until the entire shell is cracked/crumbled. Peel, making sure to get hold of the inner thin membrane. I've never had a problem, whether old or fresh eggs, the shell does not stick to the egg, no green ring around the yolk. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.