Reply To: Coming Through the Rye

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Coming Through the Rye Reply To: Coming Through the Rye

Mike Nolan
Keymaster

Report on Boston Brown Bread (Ginsberg pps 90-92):

This is a quick bread not a yeast bread, though it seems odd to describe anything that bakes for 3 hours as 'quick'.

BostonBrownBread

The recipe said to bake it in an 8 inch bread pan, but the dry ingredients alone nearly filled up that pan, and I was concerned that after I added 2 cups of milk and 3/4 cup of molasses that it'd spill over the top, so I put it in my 4 x 4 x 13 Pullman pan. It has a lid so that simplified sealing it in the pan, too.

I forgot to weigh the finished bread.

I did put a pan of water below the bread just to make sure the air was a bit steamy.

I like the fact that the slices are 3 x 4, which is a good size for a slice. If I make it again (and that seems likely), I'll do it in the Pullman pan again.

brownbreadslice

Doing it in a sealed pan is a lot simpler than trying to find a way to steam it, and the taste is very good. We had it with Boston Baked Beans, and it was a great pairing. (That pairing, as I recall, gives you all 9 amino acids, which would make it a complete protein source.)

I tried a slice with some cream cheese, it totally changes the flavor profile of the bread. I liked it, my wife wasn't as fond of it that way. I don't know how well it would toast, it might fall apart in a regular vertical toaster.

Attachments:
    1. BostonBrownBread.jpg

2. brownbreadslice.jpg