Reply To: Coming Through the Rye

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Coming Through the Rye Reply To: Coming Through the Rye

Mike Nolan
Keymaster

Report on Dakota Norwegian Rye (Ginsberg pps 83-86)

dakota-norwegian

Although it uses five different flours (whole wheat, bread flour, fine rye meal, rye chops and medium rye flour), this isn't really a complicated recipe.

I chose to make two loaves about 475 grams each, about 10 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches, instead of one larger football-shaped loaf. This way the slices are closer to deli rye slices.

The dough came together quickly and rose well, though in retrospect I think I should have let the final rise run a bit longer, there are very minor blowouts on one side of both loaves towards the bottom. You may be able to see that better on a single slice. I baked it at a slightly lower temperature than what Ginberg's recipe calls for, I've found that many of his recipes seem to work better that way, I think my oven is just a bit hotter than his.

dakota-norwegian-slice

It passes the toast test superbly, and it made pretty good Reubens for lunch today. If I was after a soft rye with a good rye flavor, I'd certainly include this in the possible choices.

Given that it is only 29% rye, I was expecting a very mild flavor, but it is a bit stronger than that. The dark brown sugar in it gives it a hint of molasses, and the caraway adds some bitterness. I can also taste the sourness of the starter, though it is quite mild.

Attachments:
    1. dakota-norwegian.jpg

2. dakota-norwegian-slice.jpg