Participant

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
      Submitted by macy on March 21, 2006 at 2:49 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Muffins Quickbreads Scones

INSTRUCTIONS
      This is a really good 100% whole grain recipe. I found it in Uprisings: The Whole Grain Baker's Book by The Cooperative Whole Grain Educational Association. The recipe was contributed by Positively 3rd Street Co-operative Bakery of Duluth, Minnesota.

1/4 cup wheat bran
      1/4 cup wheat germ
      2 1/3 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
      3/4 Tbl. baking soda
      3/4 tsp. salt
      1/3 cup powdered milk or buttermilk

1/3 cup safflower or canola oil
      2/3 cup honey
      1 1/3 cups filtered water

Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients only enough to moisten and then

1 1/4 cups blueberries

Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 25-35 minutes at 350F. Enjoy!

If you have convection, bake at 375F or whatever temperature your oven manual recommends. 350F doesn't sound hot enough to me for conventional ovens, but I haven't tried it.

The small wild blueberries are really nice in these if you can get them. I found some in the freezer section at one grocery store and a health food store.

Buttermilk is a staple at my house, so I use 1 1/3 cups instead of the water and buttermilk powder.

I like walnut oil better than safflower or canola.

I add 1/2 tsp. cardamom, just because the other blueberry muffin recipes in this book call for it and it sounded like a good combination. It's subtle, but very nice.

The recipe says it makes 1 dozen, but there is enough batter for at least 13-14 mushroomy muffins---or more if you don't fill the muffin cups as full. Depends on your pan.

These are better the day after baking and they're good at room temperature. Leftovers store well, air-tight in the fridge.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by rottiedogs.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.