What are You Cooking the Week of April 9, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 9, 2017?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm excited about any new week that features holiday cooking, and with Passover and Easter preparations, there should be some great cooking this week.

Today, I'm doing a roast in the crockpot with small potatoes and carrots. I'm trying different seasoning. I sprinkled Penzey's Tsardust mixture all over the browned roast. When I deglazed the pan in which I had browned the roast, I added 2/3 cup water, Penzey's beef bouillon, 1/2 tsp Tsardust seasoning, 1 Tbs. light brown sugar, 1 Tbs. tomato paste, and 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce. I also sprinkled the roast with rosemary and a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper before pouring the sauce over it.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We had leftover turkey, so on Tuesday, I made "Town Meeting Chicken [Turkey] Pie, a recipe that came from a KAF email long ago. It is a pot pie filling with biscuits that get baked on top. I have played around with the recipe and improved it over the years. One of these days, I'll post it on Nebraska Kitchen.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I made Chicken Juniper for Will's birthday yesterday. It's a family favorite and it's a casserole from the 1960s - you know - with mushroom soup and sour cream. Chicken breasts are wrapped in bacon and put on a bed of dried beef. Then it's cooked low and slow. It has another name but one of my dad's crew named it after our racing sailboat because they always had it on overnight races.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Thursday, I made Red Potato, Carrot, and Spinach Soup. I developed the recipe based on one in a newspaper cooking insert magazine called Spry. I seasoned with 1 tsp. ground sage, and 1 tsp dried chives. I used my homemade turkey/chicken stock and the drippings from the turkey my husband roasted last week.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Last night I made the Thai Peanut Noodle salad again. With less pepper and prechopped noodles it was much better. I slightly screwed up the dressing because I used my leftover dressing from last week to marinate the chicken, so the dressing was thinner. Still good though

BakerAunt
              Participant

Tonight I sautéed red bell pepper and mushrooms in peanut oil, then added broccoli florets. I added the leftover broth and chopped up roast from Sunday, then sprinkled on sliced green onions. I mixed it with a combination of different kinds of rice: black, brown, and a bit of a mixed rice blend that I had left over.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.