stand mixer glitch

Home Forums General Discussions stand mixer glitch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Purchased early this century. Not used a lot. Goes in spurts. It has developed a glitch that baffles me. Anyone have this problem, or a solution?

When trying to put on the flat beater that is covered in white, the beater becomes caught. It won't turn so the knob (don't know what it's called) won't go into the slot. Hubby has to manhandle it off, because he can't get it to budge, either. I have 2 of those beaters. Yesterday, after he pulled off the first one, I thought it'd be okay with the second one. It also became stuck. Again, had to be manhandled off.

This is the second baking day I've had this problem. If my husband weren't home, I'd be out of baking luck, because I can't pull it off when it refuses to move.

I'm wondering if the spring that moves when the beater is inserted and removed could be broken. But, there was a long time between the first instance of this and yesterday, when I used the mixer with no problem.

I also don't know if the spring is even replaceable. And blaming the spring is just a guess. Anyone care to hazard a guess or have knowledge? Thanks.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

If it was me, I'd start by checking both the mixer and the beater to make sure nothing's clogged up or bent. I clean mine with a toothbrush every now and then, because stuff gets flung up into all sorts of nooks and crannies.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have a Cuisinart, so I don't have an answer for you. Did Mike's suggestion work?

Italiancook
          Participant

Thanks, Mike & BakerAunt for your comments. The toothbrush idea sounds good. I had thought of searching for pipe cleaners, but a toothbrush is easier to find. Problem is I went to the store to buy kids' Valentines Day cards yesterday and forgot to buy a toothbrush. I don't store any of them in the house. I buy them as I need them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.