Spaghetti Squash Turkey Casserole [Faux Lasagna]]

Home Forums Recipes Spaghetti Squash Turkey Casserole [Faux Lasagna]]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Spaghetti Squash-Turkey Casserole [Faux Lasagna] serves 6

Marliss Desens made major changes to the original recipe at eatyourselfskinny.com
      I have used a 4-lb. spaghetti squash with a 13 x 9-inch, using a bit more sauce. I often added sauteed celery and red bell pepper.

2 lbs. spaghetti squash

About 3 to 3 ½ cups homemade spaghetti sauce
      1 lb. ground turkey
      8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
      2 tsp. dried onion, rehydrated
      Minced parsley
      Olive oil
      1 Tbs. tomato paste
      3 Tbs. flax meal
      2 Tbs. freshly grated Parmesan, and a bit extra for topping.
      ½ cup [56 g] grated low-fat mozzarella

Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Line a large half-sheet pan with parchment. Cut spaghetti squash horizontally and scoop out seeds. (Discard seeds or put them out for the squirrels.) Lightly rub olive oil on cut side of spaghetti squash halves. Place with cut-side down on prepared baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until tender enough to pierce with a small knife.

While squash is cooking, spray a 9 x 9-inch-deep ceramic dish (or equivalent size) with non-stick spray. Set aside. Heat a 4-qt. sauté pan, add a bit of olive oil to coat surface and, brown the ground turkey. [If using regular onion, add it here and sauté.] Add a bit more olive oil and the mushrooms, cooking until soft. Add the tomato sauce, rehydrated onion, tomato paste, whatever spices you prefer, and parsley and cook over low heat. Stir in the flax meal. Stir in the Parmesan.

When spaghetti squash is ready, remove from oven, and turn oven down to 350 F. Use a fork to remove the strings of squash, keeping the strings from each half separate.

To assemble casserole, place 1/3 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the dish. Distribute the strings from one of the spaghetti squash evenly on top. Place another third of the meat sauce on top of the squash, then put the squash from the second half on top of it. Finish with the rest of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with the grated mozzarella and grate a bit more Parmesan over it.

Cover dish tightly with foil and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. It re-heats well in the microwave.

What I changed: Marliss Desens made major changes to the original recipe at eatyourselfskinny.com Use fresh onion and add garlic (if desired) if not in sauce. Also, add 1 tsp. Penzey's Tuscan Seasoning, if you are not cooking for sensitive stomachs like my husband's. The original recipe used 4 lbs. of spaghetti sauce and did not use ground turkey or mushrooms or flax meal. The casserole was made in a 13 x 9 lasagna pan. I find that the smaller size works better, and with just one spaghetti squash, is not runny. (The flax meal also helps solidify it.)

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.