Raisin Bran Muffins

Home Forums Recipes Raisin Bran Muffins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Raisin Bran Muffins

Note: I have corrected an error in the headnote: it is Kretschmer wheat bran, not wheat germ, which is a completely different item.

This recipe appeared on the glass jar of Kretschmer' wheat bran--back when that was the only way to buy wheat bran in the grocery store. I include my changes. It's a great bran muffin, and I'm posting it for Rascals! These are wonderful warm with butter, or at room temperature with butter.

1 1/4 cup flour
      1 cup wheat bran (not the processed cereal)
      1/3 cup brown sugar (original recipe used 1/2 cup)
      2 tsp. baking powder
      1/4 tsp. baking soda (reduced from 1/2 tsp. in original recipe)
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1 egg
      3 Tbs. canola oil (reduced from 4 Tbs.)
      1 Cup buttermilk
      1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit of your choice--dried cranberries are nice!)

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In small bowl, beat together the egg, oil, and buttermilk. Add this mixture to the flour misture, and stir just until moistened.

Grease a 12-cup standard muffin pan or a 6-cup large muffin pan. Divide batter among muffin cups.

Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes, until lightly brown. Turn out onto rack.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Rascals1
      Participant

Thank you bakeraunt, Jan is going to get my ingredients today. I think maybe one whole wheat one bran and and one white. Maybe. one sourdough.

chandos
        Participant

BakerAunt (or anyone else), In your recipe post you wrote that the bran muffin recipe was from the wheat germ jar but the recipe calls for wheat bran. I thought those were different. Are they the same thing? Or are they interchangeable? Also I'd like to make these with spelt flour. Should I make any adjustments to the other ingredients? Thanks.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Sorry for the confusion, Blanche. I should have said that it was from the wheat bran jar. The same company sold both wheat germ and wheat bran in a jar. I'll see if I can fix it on the recipe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.