Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

"Pat-a-Pie Crust" --a No-Roll pie crust

Submitted by: jej
      Last Updated: 3/11/2005

Shirley's "Pat-a-Pie Crust" Makes 1 8ý or 9ý double-crust

This is my sister's idea of how to make an oil crust. Like me, she likes the idea of not feeding her family hydrogenated shortening. But she also doesn't worry about transferring a rolled out crust, because she doesn't do one! She "pats" the bottom into the pie plate, and sprinkles the top crust over the filling. And her three boys and husband all think she makes the best pies in the world!

I will recommend Crisco's CANOLA OIL, which I always use in my rolled pie crust. I think Shirley uses canola oil, too.

1] For an 8- 9-inch double-crust pie:

Into pie plate, sift

2 cups flour
      2 tsp. sugar
      1 1/4 tsp. salt.

2] Using fork, whip 2/3 c. salad oil w/3 Tbsp. milk (or water); pour over flour
      mixture. Mix with fork 'til flour is all dampened.

3] RESERVE 1/3 of dough to crumble over filling for top crust. Press remaining 2/3
      dough to line bottom of pie plate evenly. Leave enough for sides and press, pressing
      dough up the sides to cover pie plate. Crimp edges.

4] Add filling. Then crumble reserved dough in small pieces, and sprinkle over filling.
      For her apple pies, Shirley uses 1/4 of the "topping" dough and adds a little butter, about 2/3 c.
      oatmeal, and some brown sugar to make a crunch crust. Shirley advises, "cut down a
      little sugar in the filling or it is too sweet. Bon Appetit!"

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by htfoot.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.