Kid Pizza’s Mother’s Lentil and Spinach Soup

Home Forums Recipes Kid Pizza’s Mother’s Lentil and Spinach Soup

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Good Afternoon Marliss. I will post the way I do my Mom's "LENTIL SPINACH " soup.

You can change it to your diet specifications as you please.

LENTILS 5/8ths cup

GARLIC CLOVES 5 to 7 (sliced & diced to your specs)

OLIVE OIL Approx... 2 1/2 to 3 TBLS.

ONION (Small dice) 1/2 to 3/4, cup.

FROZEN CHOPPED SPINACH IT GENERALLY COMES IN 10 OR 12, OZ PACKS

BAY LEAVES 2 is ok (Remove after about 1/2 thru cooking...they can turn bitter if not)

WORCHESTER SAUCE About 5 / 7 shakes will do.

VINEGAR About 1, TBLS

DRIED HERBS OF YOUR CHOICE "OPTIONAL" but a very good choice...maybe about 1, TBLS I use oregano, basil & mint. mixed up first then added

LIQUIDS. About 2 1/2 quarts...make adjustments as you see fit by observing. You can employ beef broth with partial amount of water or chicken broth or combo

with the other liquids mentioned & plain WATER....."YOUR CHOICE" VARIATION: you can consider to PUREE about 20% the lentils in your FP after cooking & then adding to the stockpot...YOUR CHOICE.

Also Marliss I always added small diced carrots in as well... your choice... only for Technicolor presentation purpose only, my Mom did not do this silly trick of mine.

Marliss there are those who like to add maybe cut up frankfurters to this recipe or perhaps chopped up ham or even bacon bits This recipe lends itself to these variations....."YOUR CHOICE" my dear.

One more thing, this recipe can be cooked on the stove or in a crock pot. either way it comes out the same way.

DIRECTIONS:

In a sauce pan add olive oil then garlic & about 1 TBLS of the onions cook on medium heat STIRRING frequently with your wooden spoon. (So as not to burn the garlic).

When you notice the garlic beginning to burn (ORANGE BITS in color... quickly stop burning it by adding a glass of liquid into the pan then after stirring add enough liquids to sustain the amount of lentils, add lentils now, onions, carrots & bay leaves.

Cook for about 30, minutes add spinach, worch sauce & remove bay leaves.

When all is complete season to taste add vinegar stir add herbs stir make any adjustments like adding a litle more herbs, vinegar or condiments. You are now finished. GOOD LUCK.

Post back your results when you do the recipe.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

This recipe is quite versatile, so the cook can change it up, depending on what ingredients are on hand. I used 8 cups of homemade turkey stock and 1 1/2 cups green lentils. I fried some bacon, then sautéed the onion and garlic in a bit of the grease. I used 2 tsp. of sage for the seasoning. The carrots look lovely with the spinach. I crumpled in the bacon.

Thank you, Cass, for a great recipe, and I will be making it again!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.