Cake Lessons from KidPizza: A Collection of Four Threads Yellow & White Cakes

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Cake Lessons from KidPizza: A Collection of Four Threads Yellow & White Cakes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Cake Lessons from Kid Pizza for Livingwell [A collection of four threads]

KidPizza - Cake Time! Thread I
      Hi, KidPizza! It's Friday morning and I'm checking with you to see if there's anything extra I need to buy over the week-end before making your yellow cake recipe either Sunday or Monday morning, if that works for you. I have all the usual suspects for making cake, including King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour, Gold Medal bleached all-purpose flour, and Swans Down cake flour You'll need to tell me which one is best for your recipe. I also have salted and unsalted butter, but, again, you'll need to tell me which you prefer. My baking powder, baking soda, eggs, and milk are all fresh. I'm so excited!
      posted by: Livingwell on January 10, 2014 at 7:47 am in General discussions

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 10, 2014 at 1:36 pm
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good morning. Penelope I am also excited to help you. I was thinking of you a few hours ago while I was baking my experiment BB cakes. I must leave you now as the stock market is getting ready to open
      in 2, minutes this is how I earn my living for the last 33, years. I do not wish this way on my worst enemy. See you later.
      ~CASS/KIDPIZZA.
      Penelope, I am back. I will post the recipe tomorrow sometime. I will also post options as well
      My BB cakes/ loaves/muffins came out tasting great. The only thing is they deflated "LARGE",(LOL) Almost 15/20% worth. I did realize why after thinking about. I corrected the recipe along with the sugar content.

I have learned a great deal since I decided to take your suggestion about defrosting the blueberries that I never would have figured out. But I did because I did what I thought intially was a foolish thing to do. This morning after baking & then when I tasted one I learned one more thing....I have been employing the in~correct frozen BB. So does everyone else. But I am the only one that has figured this problem out. I just bought a 14, oz frozen package at Trader Joe;s . I will use it in my muffin fruitcakes recipe. It is KAF recipe which I modified. It will not go to waste.
      Yes, Penelope, you have all the ingredients for the Basic YELLOW CAKE recipe.
      One option is employing some honey. which you can decide to do later on.
      See you tomorrow sometime. Enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~KIDPIZZA.

reply by: Livingwell on January 10, 2014 at 5:09 pm
      KidPizza, I'm glad you discovered the size of the blueberries helped ensure baking success for your blueberry cakes. I like to use frozen Maine wild blueberries when I make muffins (using my thaw method, of course). They're smaller than "normal" blueberries and look nicer in the muffins.
      I'm not a big honey fan, but if I have to put it in the yellow cake recipe to have success, I will. I will let you know for sure which day I am baking. Since you're two hours behind me, you should see my post when you log on that day. I really appreciate you taking me under your wing to teach me how to make a good yellow cake.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 11, 2014 at 6:02 am
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good early morning Penelope. I will post the recipe in it's standard form first. Then you can try the better technique of separating the eggs in which you will get a very light cake. Trust me easy enough.
      This YELLOW CAKE recipe is a simple one also known as a 1~2~3~4 cake. It is the basis of many other cake recipes that vary in it's ingredients but still in balance in the dictates of baking science.
      COMES NOW:
      BUTTER...........................1,cup.......8,oz
      SUGAR............................2 cups.....14,oz
      FLOUR, AP,Bleached........3,sifted cups,.......12.75,oz
      EGGS***...........................5 Large.....8.75,oz
      Milk..................................1,1/4 cups..10,oz
      Baking Powder...................1,TBLS.....1/2,oz
      Vanilla extract....................1,tsp
      Salt. 1/2,tsp......1/2, oz.
      *** Variation from 4, eggs. 4, eggs apply if separating the eggs. WHICH WE WILL DO THE NEXT BAKE WHEN YOU ARE READY.
      .........................................Approx...52, oz
      DIRECTIONS:
      Sift the flour, powder &salt, set aside. ......in the mixer, place butter (65/67,degrees)
      beat, till smooth, add sugar & mix for 5, minutes... sugar must get melted.
      Add eggs 1, at a time for 1, minute each Add vanilla.. Penelope, now & then scrap down the bowl & the beaters.
      Now mix in 1/3rd of the flour by estimate & 1/2 of the milk blend in with a spatula repeat add 1/2 remaining flour all the milk... blend & balance of flour & blend.
      I will not tell you how to prepare your baking pans I am sure you know how. Bake at 350 pre~ heated oven...lower 1/3rd. Time close to 30/35, minutes...do a tooth pick test.
      PANS:
      (2,) 8,in X 1.5, round or (1), 9,X,13, X 2, in. pans/or you can add other ingredients to make muffins, baby loaf cakes,ete. like bb, coconut, cranberries ete.
      Good luck Penelope. & enjoy the weekend..
      ~KIDPIZZA

reply by: Livingwell on January 11, 2014 at 10:30 am
      THANK YOU, Kid Pizza, for your yellow cake recipe! A special thank you for including the ingredient amounts by volume since I don't weigh them out. I can't wait to make your recipe, and every day this past week himself has asked if today's the day he gets cake. I am planning on making a two layer 9-inch cake with chocolate frosting, a favorite flavor combination. As soon as I'm done with the cake, I will post my results. Again, I will make it first thing Monday morning.
      I just thought of a few questions:
      1. Is regular granulated sugar OK, or do I need to use superfine? I also have King Arthur Baker's Special sugar on hand.
      2. Since there is salt in the recipe, should I use unsalted butter?
      I'm so excited!!! "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 12, 2014 at 8:33 am
      LIVINGWELL;
      Good morning my friend. For the sugar choice either is acceptable. However, using the fine sugar you can save about 1.5/2, minutes of mixing time because remember the sugar must be incorporated into the butter during creaming, in order to create bubbles that the leaveners begin to expand to provide structure, & the sugar to become melted as well. (Remember Penelope, butter is optimum at 65/67 degrees to begin creaming)
      Use unsalted butter.
      Just a thought Penelope, as you know when cakes finish baking. The tops of the cake generally are rounded as in convex configuration. Then you will have to slice that portion off to level it.
      Here is my secret trick gifted to you. When ready to bake ....you must with your spatula gently from the center toward the outer portion move some of the batter so the configuration is more concave rather than flat. You see Penelope, during baking the center portion will rise & be level & not in a convex configuration.
      Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.
      ~KIDPIZZA.

reply by: Livingwell on January 12, 2014 at 9:40 am
      Thanks for the baking tip so the tops don't dome. Though I don't get domed tops, I will try your trick to make sure I don't with this new recipe. Tomorrow is cake day! "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 12, 2014 at 5:26 pm
      LIVINGWELL:
      Hello again. Penelope, I know you use volume measure. That is why I posted both ways. I must say however I was just going thru my work & I noticed a typing error on my part. The salt is 1/2, tsp, yes
      but it isn't 1/2, oz. in weight. It is 1/8th oz.' Please make that correction
      I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning. You will just do fine as always.you will see.
      ~KIDPIZZA.

reply by: Livingwell on January 12, 2014 at 5:38 pm
      Correction noted. I am already getting ready to start baking first thing in the morning. I printed out your recipe, cut out the parchment paper circles to line my cake pans, got the measuring cups and spoons out, and started assembling some of the ingredients. Gee, can you tell I'm excited about making this cake?? "Penelope"

reply by: D.Waver on November 01, 2014 at 5:11 am
      Can you please clarify the flour? Do I use AP (gold medal) pre-sifted, or do I weigh out the flour and then sift it? I see you sift together the dry ingredients. Don't want to over sift..
      Thanks!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 01, 2014 at 8:12 am
      D.Waver, as a general rule you sift then measure. If you measure by weight, which you should be doing, you can put your bowl on the scale and zero it out. Then sift your flour (yes, Gold Medal BLEACHED AP flour) into the bowl until you get to the correct weight. Do not ever trust that pre-sifted statement. It means nothing. The flour will become compacted in the bag it's packed in. You must sift to aerate.
      I use the above system to get the correct amount of flour in the bowl. But if I have other ingredients that need to be sifted with the flour, I sift about 1/2 the flour, add the other ingredients, then sift the rest of the flour. Usually I measure the small teaspoons of baking soda and powder and do not weigh those. The amount is so small. Here is where KidPizza comes at me, screaming like a banshee. This is not correct. I know it, he knows I know it. But, it's what I do.
      Hope this answers your questions. Post back if you need more help.
      ~Cindy

reply by: D.Waver on November 04, 2014 at 1:16 pm
      Thank you so much Cindy! I love how passionate everyone is here - screaming like a banshee should occur when people are debating baking instructions ... NOT when someone steals your parking spot πŸ™‚
      Have a great day!!

reply by: Rascals1 on November 04, 2014 at 6:09 pm
      That's a good recipe, I've been using it since the early 1960's but mine only has 4 eggs.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on November 05, 2014 at 7:19 am
      You're welcome! Yes, screaming like a banshee should, indeed, occur when debating cooking questions. And, believe me, we get that way very quickly around here.......?
      ~Cindy

YELLOW CAKE SUCCESS! (Thread II)
      THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, KidPizza, for sharing your yellow cake recipe and offering me advice on how to make it! After many yellow cake failures over the years, your recipe came out as good as any from a bakery. I followed your instructions to the letter with two exceptions: I lowered the oven temp to 325 degrees to account for my dark Chicago Metallic cake pans, and I used Penzey's double strength vanilla. You're supposed to halve the amount of vanilla when using their double strength, but I still use the amount called for in the recipe for richer flavor, and this cake definitely had a wonderful flavor, as well as a nice fluffy texture. I made a 9-inch two layer cake and each layer baked up to a height just shy of 2-3/4 inches, which made for nice sized layers and a good looking cake. I tried your trick of spreading the batter to the edges of the pan to create a concave center to prevent doming, but the batter wouldn't stay put! The layers were just ever so slightly domed, but I always turn them upside down, anyway, so the flat bottoms provide flat surfaces for easier frosting, so it wasn't a problem. This was the first time I have ever been able to pick up the cake layers without them sticking to the cooling racks! That made it much easier to place the second layer on top of the first by hand instead of using a wide cake spatula and having the cake stick to that, too! I was so excited about making this cake that I woke up at 2:30 this morning and took out the butter, eggs, and milk so they could come to room temperature. Himself took a few pictures of the finished cake and is going to try and post them so you can see how well it came out. Now I can't wait to make the white version! Thank you again for sharing your recipe and expertise! "Penelope"
      posted by: Livingwell on January 13, 2014 at 1:15 pm in General discussions

reply by: Livingwell on January 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Photos are up for anyone who wants to drool over them. Have a towel handy!

reply by: robinwaban on January 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm
      Wowee!!! Beautiful. I will also have to try Kid Pizza's advice and make one. I hope it comes out as lovely as yours!

reply by: frick on January 13, 2014 at 1:35 pm
      Darn, drooled all over the computer. I may have to twist his arm for that recipe. I love a good plain cake, but it has to be good. A home made cake should fall in that happy medium between being light enough to be enjoyable, and not as light as a box mix. It's a delicate balance. I think I don't make them often enough. Bundt cakes are so darned easy. But my poor DH wants frosting. So, Kid Pizza, care to share your recipe with me?

reply by: Livingwell on January 13, 2014 at 2:46 pm
      Thank you, Robin! I'm really pleased with the way it came out.
      Frick, the recipe is in this post:
      .[uploader: it is in Thread I]
      The texture is just as you describe, fluffy enough that it isn't a mix, but with enough body that you know you're eating something. We just love it!
      Though I usually use King Arthur unbleached flour for most of my baking, I used Gold Medal bleached flour in this cake.

reply by: berwynbaker on January 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm
      Right about now, I would kill for a slice of that cake. I am going to have to copy kidpizza's recipe for use in the new future. BB

reply by: omaria on January 13, 2014 at 4:32 pm
      Oh, that looks just delicious ! Beautiful also.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 13, 2014 at 5:11 pm
      I have found, if I follow his ingredient list and instructions TO THE LETTER, there is nobody better at this art of cake making than the MASKED MARVEL. Your pictures look wonderful. I tried to lick the frosting, but the iPad would not cooperate. ?
      We are so lucky to have KidPizza on this forum. His years of experience and his willingness to share, benefit us all. I have been fortunate enough to meet this kind, wonderful gentleman, and believe me when I tell you, he is a true, old world GENTLEMAN. They don't make them like him anymore. He has taught me so much. If I find myself stumped or confused with a recipe, I will stop and think, What Would Cass Do?? I have copious notes about baking listed under CASS' NOTES. When I have a high ratio fat to flour cake, the first thing he says is 1.) Use BLEACHED flour, NOT unbleached flour. There are so many more 'Must Dos' in his list. He has been invaluable.
      Now, there is one more cake I simply MUST bake. I wonder if I can figure out the four eggs and separating egg whites.ill have to read carefully to figure out when and how to fold in the egg whites. Unless the great one would like to chime in here with instructions.......hint.......hint........hint!!
      ~Cindy

reply by: frick on January 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm
      Livingwell, Thank you Of course, I should have realized that. Since you mentioned it, I have always pushed batter up toward the sides of the pan to try to counteract the doming. Cake batter stubbornly usually refuses to stay, as you found to be the case. Still, since it may help, I won't stop trying.
      Now I have to decide whether to try the four egg version, or the 5 egg version. Did you make the 5 egg one?

reply by: cwcdesign on January 13, 2014 at 5:44 pm
      Gorgeous cake, "Penelope" I'll have to add that recipe to my repertoire. Especially after KP's wonderful instructions for my lemon coconut pound cake which I am definitely going to make again. Just have to translate that recipe to my "book."

reply by: Livingwell on January 13, 2014 at 5:46 pm
      I have no idea how to go about making the white cake version, so will have to depend on KidPizza to walk me through it. That's next on my "to try" list!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 13, 2014 at 10:37 pm
      Frick, have you tried the 'cake strips' that you put around the outside of the pan to keep the cake flat? I have a set and love them. I use them when making double layer round cakes. Perfectly flat cakes. No doming! KAF sells them.
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cake-strips
      ~Cindy

reply by: bakeraunt on January 13, 2014 at 10:50 pm
      I want to second Mrs. Cindy's advice about the cake strips. I use them all the time. I also do the trick of pushing the batter toward the sides. The cakes come out quite nicely.

reply by: frick on January 14, 2014 at 2:00 am
      I have the cake strips. I nearly always forget about them; will even have to do a "deep search" since I seldom bake layer cakes. That chocolate marble bundt nearly always seems to fill the bill, though I love frosting!
      I need to decompress the freezer of peaches, and farm cakes with cream cheese & chocolate chip filling are calling me. I also haven't made cinnamon swirl bread in ages. I have a little free time, but no room in my jeans. πŸ™

reply by: Livingwell on January 14, 2014 at 7:17 am
      Oh my gosh, I have the cake strips from King Arthur and have never used them! Since doming is not usually a problem for me and I turn the layers upside down, anyway, I didn't even think about them. I saw them in the drawer the other day and thought I should use them some time. If I think about it, maybe when I make KidPizza''s white cake. Whoops, I mistyped his name and typed KisPizza - Freudian slip of the fingers?? If he was here, I would give him a big hug for helping me!

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 14, 2014 at 9:26 am
      MRSCINDY:
      Good morning my dear friend. Thank you very very much for all the kind words. I appreciate it.
      I am happy to see that you have been posting lately. It means simply you are getting to feel much better & that makes me happy.
      Cynthia, I will post the entire recipe employing the EGG WHITE version so that there is no confusion.
      COMES NOW:
      BUTTER.......................................1,cup.......8,oz
      SUGAR........................................2, cups...14,oz
      FLOUR. AP.(bleached) .................3,cups....12.75,oz
      EGGS***.. SEPARATED................4, Large...7,oz...If you require help with this please post back.
      MILK****........................................1, cup......8,oz
      BAKING POWDER.........................1, TBLS..1/2,oz
      VANILLA........................................1,tsp
      SALT..............................................1/2 tsp...1/8th oz.
      .............................................APPROX ..48,oz./, 3 pounds.
      ***, eggs separated when cold...whipped when at room temp. That is how you can get the most volume.
      **** Using the 4, egg method.... Milk is then reduced to 8, oz.
      Pre~Heat oven 350, degrees bake at lower 1/3rd of the oven
      Whip up the Meringue to "FIRM" peaks....set aside
      Standard Creaming mixing method. all ingredients at room temp. Butter, then FINE SUGAR,
      ,& vanilla. Now & then scrape down bowl & beaters. Total time approx. 6 minutes. Best if batter is between 70/73, degrees when pan is placed in the oven.
      Using a spatula mix in 1/3rd of the flour & 1/2 of the milk. Mix till blended. Repeat with 1/2 remaining flour & all of the milk. Add balance of flour & mix till no white flour traces remain.
      Mix in 25% of the whites & blend in with a spatula using the bottom to the top mixing method gently.
      When mixed in, repeat with all remaining whites...blending gently .When ready begin panning.
      Remember bakers you can add fruits to these recipes, coconut, cranberries, etc.
      (2), 8 in or 9,in X 2,in pans or (1), 9 x 13 x 2 pan. Prepare pans in the standard manner with parchment paper
      I hope I didn't leave out important information.
      Good luck my dear culinary friends & enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

reply by: omaria on January 14, 2014 at 10:09 am
      Want this in my file. Thanks Cass.!

reply by: frick on January 14, 2014 at 1:47 pm
      Thanks, Cass. May you come out a winner in the day's encounter with the stock market.

reply by: Livingwell on January 14, 2014 at 3:38 pm
      Thank you for the white cake recipe, KidPizza! After my yellow cake success, I am feeling much more confident that I can bake more cakes than just chocolate. White cake is next on my "to try" list and I am going to print out your recipe now. I do have one question, though. With the yellow cake, the flour amount said 3 sifted cups of flour, but the white cake recipe says 3 C. flour. Does that mean it does not have to be sifted before measuring it out? With the yellow cake, I sifted the flour, measured it out, then sifted it again with the baking powder and salt. Now I just have to figure out what kind of frosting I want on the white cake. I think white on white might be nice.

reply by: cwcdesign on January 14, 2014 at 4:30 pm
      Livingwell, this is the other version of the yellow cake recipe using 4 eggs instead of 5. mrscindy was asking about separating the eggs and folding them in separately, so KP posted this variation.
      -
      Just thought you'd want to know. I can't wait to see the white cake recipe either.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 14, 2014 at 4:48 pm
      You're right, cwcdesign, the recipe KidPizza posted for me is the YELLOW CAKE recipe using the separated egg white method. It is NOT the white cake. Please don't confuse this recipe for the white cake recipe. The white cake will not have any egg yolks in it.
      I'm sure we can talk the PROFESSOR into posting his famous WHITE CAKE RECIPE if we just behave ourselves. First, everyone must make both versions of the yellow cake with resounding success. After that THE GREAT ONE will allow us to move to the next recipe. Right, Cass?
      And, yes, Cass, I'm feeling a little better. Never really GREAT, but a little better. That's the important thing, right?
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 14, 2014 at 6:32 pm
      Uh-oh! I thought that WAS the white cake recipe. That's what I want to make in the upcoming week or so, so I hope KidPizza posts the real white cake recipe soon! I'm on a cake high here and want to see if I can have equal success with a white cake. I even bought extra butter for it when I went grocery shopping this morning.

reply by: BakerIrene on January 14, 2014 at 6:38 pm
      I would use ganache. Maybe even just a glaze of ganache rather than icing.

reply by: Livingwell on January 14, 2014 at 8:49 pm
      Oooo, that sounds yummy!

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 15, 2014 at 6:35 am
      LIVINGWELL.
      Good morning. Penelope, I will work on the white cake today & I think I can post it tomorrow.
      Yes, Penelope, If you wish to bake the separated eggs version you also should SIFT the flour there as well. I just didn't notice my omission when I printed out the recipe.
      Enjoy the day my friend.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on January 15, 2014 at 7:38 am
      Good morning, KP! Thanks for clearing that up. I am easily confused, so appreciate your detailed instructions. Before making your wonderful yellow cake, I have never in all my years of baking made cake where I sifted the flour first, then measured, then sifted it again with the leavener. The yellow cake was so good that I am now wondering if I should do that with every cake recipe to get equally good results.
      It's chilly here with more snow expected, just as we were getting rid of the old stuff! Stay warm there and have a good day!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 16, 2014 at 10:42 pm
      Livingwell, your point is well taken. Yes, you should/could sift, then measure and sift again, with almost all cake recipes. Many recipes have weights now, instead of measurements. This is specifically to stop the over weighing problem found in many kitchens. When you sift, measure, sift, you end up closer to the correct amount of flour. I've started doing that with almost all my baked goods. I sift the flour into the measuring cup on the scale. Then resift with the leavening and other dry ingredients into the bowl.
      I would be interested to hear what Cass has to say about it. I wonder what his take will be.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 16, 2014 at 10:54 pm
      Thank you, MrsCindy. I only measure ingredients by volume, not weight, but am anxious to try the sift-measure-sift method again.
      I hope to make the white cake in the next week or so, so hope KidPizza posts the recipe soon! Of course, all this cake isn't good for my diet, so I shared the yellow cake with a friend, who pronounced it delicious!

reply by: cwcdesign on January 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm
      Livingwell, KP posted the White Cake recipe earlier today for you.

[uploader's note: the recipe is in Thread III here.]

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 17, 2014 at 5:19 am
      MRSCINDY:
      Good morning.
      "PRECISELY"
      I hope this post finds you well.
      Enjoy the rest of the day my dear friend.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on January 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

Thanks, Cwc! I was only here for a few minutes last night and don't know how I missed it, but got it this morning.

LIVINGWELL, I am posting the WHITECAKE recipe for you. Thread III
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good morning. Penelope, my friend. I am posting the White cake recipe that you asked for. I hope you will enjoy it as much as the yellow cake recipe.
      This recipe can be put together in two mixing methods. I am posting the easier one. If you do not like anything about this cake, post your concerns...be as descriptive as you can be. We can FIX it. We can also try the superior mixing method known as 2 stage mixing. It is superior but it has to be done accurately. Nothing that you cannot do.
      Anyway. I have 2, other recipes but I believe this one to be the superior one.
      "WHITE CAKE RECIPE:
      COMES NOW:
      Sifted cake flour...................................3,cups........10.5,oz
      Milk....................................................1, cup, plus 1,Tbls.....8.5,oz
      Sugar, (fine).........................................1.5,cups.....10.5,oz
      Butter (un~salted).........1.5, sticks...........................6,oz
      Vanilla.........................2, tsp ***
      Baking powder..............1, Tbls plus, 1,tsp................5/8ths, oz
      Salt, 1/4, tsp
      Egg Whites...................(5)......................................5,1/4,oz. (Approx)
      DIRECTIONS:
      350, Degress, lower 1/3rd of oven, about 30/35, minutes. REDUCE Temp 25, degrees. for Blace or dark pans.
      Combine flour,,salt & powder & set aside.
      Place butter (65/67,degrees) in mixing bowl & beat till smooth. Begin drizzling in the sugar. When complete,
      Begin adding the whites in 3, segments, 20/30, seconds mixing time for each segments.
      Add vanilla SCRAPE BOWL & BEATER EVERY NOW & THEN WHEN REQUIRED.
      Add 1/3rd of flour into bowl, & 1/2, milk mix with spatula...add 1/2 of remaining flour & all of the milk. Add balance of flour,mix gently till no white flour specks appear.
      *** Penelope, remember that in employing VANILLA it will take away some of the WHITE of the white cake...so be carefull of how much you use. NOTE, KAF sells powdered Vanilla...2.5, oz jar at $17 bucks. I thought you would like to know. that
      I am finished know (I think) I hope I got it all done correctly.
      Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day my good friend.
      ~CASS.
      posted by: KIDPIZZA on January 16, 2014 at 8:03 am in General discussions
      reply by: omaria on January 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm
      I am sure, Penelope will be here soon enough. But I want to say thank you also.

reply by: happyone179 on January 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm
      Hi Kidpizza,
      I too want to thank you for posting the recipe for the yellow and white cakes. You know so much about baking. Is your profession a baker? I am just curious.
      Wendy

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 17, 2014 at 5:40 am
      HAPPYONE179:
      Good morning. Thank you very much WENDY for your kind sentiment for me. I appreciate it.
      No, I am an amateur in the culinary arts. I study baking science when I can read about it that is without falling asleep in my recliner while reading.
      There are many other members that have much knowledge about baking that are members as well like MRSCINDY, BETTINA, GINA (SMARTYPANTS) & MIKE NOLAN& ANTELOPE & plus cast of thousands (LOL).
      I hope that you will enjoy the 2, cake recipes as much as my baking pal LIVINGWELL has.
      Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

reply by: Livingwell on January 17, 2014 at 10:13 am
      Good morning, Cass! Thank you for posting the white cake recipe for me. Himself and I loved the yellow cake so much, as did our friend that we shared with, that I am feeling confident about tackling white cake. I will use the easier mixing method. The second one sounds like the reverse creaming I asked about in another post that you said is very tricky if one is not a professional baker. And I am definitely NOT a professional! I just know how I want food to look and taste, but don't always know the best way to get it there. I really appreciate your help! I wasn't sure when I was going to make the white cake, but now that you've been kind enough to post the recipe, I will make it some time in the next few days and post my results.
      I have never heard of powdered vanilla, and didn't know King Arthur sold it. I will check it out and add it to my wish list for my next order. If I buy it and use it in a cake, would I have to replace the small amount of liquid it provides with another liquid, such as more milk?? I have clear imitation vanilla, and am not crazy about the fake flavor, but use the small amount needed when I want very white cupcake frosting
      Have a good week-end!
      "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good afternoon. Yes Penelope, the other mixing method is the one I had once described to you. But if we try that you will get thru it very well. I have others. Listen Penelope, did you ever whip up a few egg whites???? Do have a hand held mixer???
      This is technique that brings lightness to a cake...like you can slice the cake with a feather. It is a easy technique it does take about 5,minutes to do but then the machine does all the work.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on January 17, 2014 at 5:52 pm
      KP, I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer that I hate and avoid using, and a Kitchen Aid hand mixer that I love and use as often as possible. I used the hand mixer for the yellow cake and plan to use it for the white cake, too. I would like to try the cake with the easier mixing method first before I get all fancy.
      Again, thank you for your help! "Penelope"

reply by: Oat Brandi on January 19, 2014 at 8:33 am
      Hello! This is my first post here. This white cake recipe was enough to make me register as opposed to just reading πŸ™‚ I have been searching for the perfect white cake for quite a while now and have two questions/concerns about this recipe if you would be so helpful to offer your advice. #1 Compared to the other white cake recipes I have used yours has less sugar.... and #2 Could the milk be replaced with buttermilk and the baking powder reduced to 2t and add 1/2 t baking soda? I *love* the flavor that buttermilk adds to cakes an tend to especially prefer it in white cakes.
      Thank you so much...my apologies for barging in!
      Brandi

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 19, 2014 at 9:05 am
      OAT BRANDI:
      Good morning. Welcome to our baking forum. We here always enjoy meeting new friends.
      Yes, Brandi, you can reduce the bkg powder by 1/2 the stated recipe amount & add 1/2, tsp of soda for the buttermilk subst.
      You sound like you are knowledgeable about baking & it's science. We look forward to your ideas from time to time when posters post their baking disappointments. They ask WHY ??? & how to fix their problem.
      Anyway enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~KIDPIZZA.

reply by: Livingwell on January 19, 2014 at 9:38 am
      Good morning, Cass! Today is white cake day, and I will make it as soon as I finish the papers and more coffee. I'll post my results, and hopefully a picture or two, when I'm done.
      Welcome Oat Brandi!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 19, 2014 at 7:44 pm
      As usual, MASKED MARVEL, you have given us a perfect recipe and I have copied it to my files. I can't wait to try it.
      One question; can I beat the whites to stiff peaks before folding the whites into the batter? At what point should I add the whites? After the flour and milk, so I don't deflate the airiness of the whites? In other words, cream the butter, slowly add the sugar, then the vanilla powder. Then add the flour and milk in three additions, then, BY HAND, fold in the beaten egg whites.
      This would change the texture of the cake, but I'm not sure what else might change. Any suggestions?
      Like I said, as usual you have come through with the perfect recipe. Thank you!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 7:26 am
      Uh-oh. Looking at MrsCindy's question about beating the egg whites before folding them into the batter makes me think I made a mistake. I added them as is. Was I supposed to beat them first??? KidPizza, HELP!

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 8:32 am
      LIVINGWELL:
      Hello again. No penelope, that is another way to prepare this cake. It makes for a lighter cake. One thing I have learned in experimenting employing the "Whipping the whites technique" is it provides lift....Sooo.... I do believe the leaveners must be reduced. I have done that in one of my recipe for BB cakes they deflated almost 1/4, inch. they tasted good however. although slightly soft I will reduce the whipped up whites by 1, I hope it will improve it's denseness as well I will soon get it right. If you wish to try this method on both of your new recipes post back & we will go thru them together.
      Have a nice day my friend.
      ~CASS>
      reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 9:46 am
      Good morning, Cass! OK, it's good to know I didn't make a mistake. In fact, in taking out everything in preparation to mixing up the batter, I put a small mixing bowl and the beaters in the fridge to chill before beating the whites. It was only after I re-read the instructions one more time before starting that I saw there were none for beating the whites first. I thought maybe not beating them first may have accounted for the slightly drier texture of the white cake. "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 11:35 am
      LIVINGWELL:
      Hey, it's me again. Listen Penelope, I didn't know that you knew how to whip up whites. I do remember in one of our postings very recently I had made mention of it & your reply "I do not want to get fancy (lol) Soooo, I thought best not to be annoying.
      Anyway my good friend next bake, whip up just 2 of the 5, whites with your hand held mixer. Start off this way whip to "FIRM PEAKS" (Tips bent over about 1/4 inch max.) Set aside...without washing the beaters continue with the creaming operation. Mix in pans by eye 25% of the whites & with a spatula mix in gently with OVER & UNDER MOTIOMS. Then the balance ...Pan & bake without wasting time.
      .EDITED
      About the FINE SUGAR. If you have a food procc. Or even a blender it will reduce the sugar granules as well. Do what I do I have a medium sized Tupper ware thing I pulverize about 1, pound maybe a little more & store it in the tupper ware thing. Every time you are going to use the contraption first do some sugar Then with out cleaning out the bowl continue with your baking bizzznizzz. This way you save a lot of time for yourself.
      You will have much more moistness.
      Penelope, in the adjacent thread you asked about the honey, if a person could taste it. No way !!! but you know that it is in there just from seeing it sparkle on it's surface with it's moisture wanting to ooze out.
      Anyway my friend do one or the other & see which is best for yourself.
      Enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm
      Hi, KidPizza! Thanks for the explanation about the honey. It may be worth a try in another attempt, but I would like to try the beaten egg white method first. I do know how to whip egg whites, but didn't know that's what you were talking about when you said there was another mixing method, and thought you meant the reverse creaming method. I do need specific instructions - LOL. Do I understand you right that if I make the cake with whipped egg whites, I only need 2 whites instead of 5? Please tell me if I read that right.
      Oh, and by the by, you are *never* annoying πŸ™‚ "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm
      PENELOPE. 2 whites beaten & 3 whites added total of 5.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 2:53 pm
      I'm a little confused about how are the two different forms of egg whites are mixed in and when. Let me tell you what I *think* you said and you correct me if I'm wrong.
      Beat 2 egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside. Mix the remaining 3 egg whites (as is in their liquid form) into the batter at the point stated in the recipe. Mix in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. The very last step to the mixing process is folding in the beaten egg whites. As soon as they're incorporated, quickly pan the batter and bake.
      Is that right?? "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 7:09 pm
      YES, PENELOPE, You got that correct.
      Not stiff peaks...but FIRM PEAKS. Peaks curl over about 1/4, inch or close to that.
      ~CASS

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 7:14 pm
      OK, gotcha! I will add that to my notes on the recipe. Thanks, again!
      Have a good evening! "Penelope"

reply by: horses272 on January 21, 2014 at 10:02 am
      Thank-you for sharing the white cake recipe, also for educating me about the vanilla as well!

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 21, 2014 at 11:58 am
      MRSCINDY:
      Good morning Cynthia. I just took out 4, cheesecakes out to place on racks to cool. I started 1: 30, this morning. (2) 7,in... (1,each 5, in & 6, in) The 5,in in is mine. The others are gifts.
      I will deliver the (2) 7,in to my church Thurs morning. I am the volunteer baker...this is going to be a celebration of life for the family of a recently deceased parishioner. I received the request Sunday afternoon.
      Now about the White cake....Yes Cynthia, whip the whites to FIRM peaks, (Tips bent over approx 1/4, in) Set aside, without cleaning the beaters start the creaming sequence.
      Cynthia, you mentioned "What else can we change???? Let us wait to see if you accept the outcome.
      Then we can change even the creaming mixing technique to the 2~ stage mixing method. OR... if you do not mind the color to be slightly become a OFF WHITE slightly we even use 1, WHOLE EGG instead of 1, egg white.
      Enjoy the rest of the day dear friend.
      CASS.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 22, 2014 at 4:52 pm
      Cass, you amaze me! Your church should count their blessings having you in their parish. You are really something. I can taste those cheesecakes as we speak. Yum, yum, good!!
      I'm hoping to make some cakes this week. Maybe both the white and yellow cakes. I can always take them to the vet clinic. I DONT have to eat them. I have taste testers scattered around for that task. If I get them done, I'll let you know.
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm
      Cindy, I will be interested in seeing your cake results, too.
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 22, 2014 at 10:14 pm
      I have my baking biddy coming over this weekend to help with some other things we need to do, so maybe these cakes can be on our radar, also. I'll let you know!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 23, 2014 at 7:47 am
      OK πŸ™‚

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 23, 2014 at 5:54 pm
      I can't believe I'm just catching this. All the blame goes to my iPad. Ipadisms are the bane of my existence. I read, re-read and re-re-read and they still slip through! She is my very dear friend and baking BUDDY. She is, by no means a 'biddy'. I would never insult anyone, much less this wonderful lady, by referring to them as a biddy.
      However, my iPad.......now, that's a whole 'nother animal......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm
      Cass, KidPizza, MASKED MARVEL, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting these recipes and casually tossing out the. Challenge to try this technique. My hat's off to you, oh Master of Baking!
      It has been many years, probably 30, since I've made a 1, 2, 3, 4 Cake. I had forgotten how luscious and rich the batter was. I used the French technique, separating the eggs, whipping the whites to firm peaks and folding them in right before panning the batter. I can't emphasize how impressed I was with the batter. Simply the best! Thick, rich, so unlike most cake batters.
      I didn't have any clear or powdered vanilla for the white cake, so I made a bad choice. I choose to leave the flavoring out altogether (don't ask me why, it was a total brain fade) instead of adding almond or lemon. Consequently, the cake was flavorless. Beautiful texture, rose beautifully, nice and moist......but no real flavor. That shows how much of a difference a small amount of extract can make. I used a very nice Chocolate Buttercream Frosting on it, which saved it to some degree. I made this as three layers in 8" round pans. I gave half of the cake to a friend with two young children. I told her to give them forks, sit them on the floor with the cake and let them have at it. Her report back?........the kids said it was the best cake EVER!!!! ?
      The yellow cake: okay, here is where the Master of all things Baking, kills me. See. I had five egg yolks left from making the white cake. So, I weighed the yolks and found I needed two more eggs to get to the correct total weight of eggs. I separated those two eggs, added the two yolks to the five I already had and whipped the two whites to firm peaks. I made the cake as directed, adding the yolks after creaming the butter and sugar. Just before panning, I folded in the whipped egg whites. Again, this batter was heavenly to work with. This one had vanilla in it. I baked this one in a 9x13" pan then cut it in half to make a squarish two layer cake. It was also frosted with the same Chocolate Buttercream. I wanted both cakes to be as equal as possible. I gave half of this cake to the same friend with the same instructions. She and her husband preferred the yellow cake. I don't think the kids really minded. They were just thrilled that Mrs. Cindy said it was okay to let them have forks and eat all they wanted ! Mom didn't object! ?
      Again, I want to thank you for posting these recipes. Both of them are excellent basic recipes with endless possibilities. Any lack of flavor was my fault entirely. There was no lack of texture or crumb in either cake. Both rose beautifully. If you have never made a standard 1. 2, 3, 4 cake which the yellow cake is, then you owe it to yourself to try it just once. Yes, it is a little time consuming, but, people, if I can make two of these cakes in one day complete with frosting and follow Cass' French technique, then certainly YOU can make just one of them!
      You don't have to make this cake as bland as I ended up with. There are so many possibilities with either one of these. Flavorings, fillings and frostings can add so much. Fruit is another option. Please, do yourself a favor and try your hand at one of these. Do the sifting and re-sifting, like Cass says. Listen to him when he talks about temperature of the butter and batter. He's serious about processing the sugar in the FP to get super fine sugar. He means it when he says the sugar must melt/dissolve into the butter. And, please, take the time to check the temperature of the batter before panning it. It DOES make a difference.
      When we ask a member, like KidPizza, who has been on the baking circle from the begging, to help with or post a recipe, the very least we can do is try it and report back. Livingwell did just that! And in doing so, she tossed down the gauntlet to the rest of us to do the same. I, for one, am glad she did. Like I said, I hadn't made one of these cakes in over 30 years. I had forgotten what a pleasure it was, what a sense of accomplishment it gave, to be able to make these cakes, side-by-side, and gift them!
      Just so you don't think I'm going to trash the rest of those cakes, I will tell you what is going to happen for tomorrow evening: Triffle! The frosted cakes, cut into cubes, layered in a trifle dish with lemon curd, strawberries, blueberries, almonds and whipped cream. The white cake will get it's flavor boost from all those extras. The whole thing will end up being a dessert to be talked about. Nothing goes to waste!
      My report, submitted with love, thank you, Cass!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm
      Cindy, from your detailed description, I can taste your cakes from here! I think you are a more experienced baker than I, though, and that's why your white cake came out better. Did you beat all the egg whites before adding them to the batter, or beat 2 and add the other 3 in their liquid form?
      I STILL need to make DLady's oatmeal cookies! They're always in the back of my mind and then I get busy with something else and don't make them. And oatmeal cookies are himself's favorite! One of these days....

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm
      I actually beat all five whites to firm peaks, added 25% to the batter and folded/mixed that amount very well, in all honesty, probably a little too much! Then added the remainder of the beaten egg whites and very gently folded them in to the batter. At that point I panned the batter and put it in the oven immediately.
      The only other deviation from the recipe occurred with the flour. After careful measuring and weighing, I was short by 1/2 cup of cake flour. Jumping in the car for a quick trip to the store isn't an option for me. So, what I did was substitute 1/2 cup of AP flour minus 1 Tbsp and added 1 Tbsp of cornstarch. I sifted and re-sifted the entire amount of AP and cake flour 5 times before measuring/weighing the flour. This was to aerate and thoroughly incorporate the flour/cornstarch mix. Since this is the way to make cake flour from AP flour, I felt I was using a small enough amount that it wouldn't make much difference. From what I could tell, it didn't make any difference!
      I sometimes think even though I've been baking for a long time, it doesn't make me a very experienced baker. I have learned a ton of stuff from The Professor. Most of what you hear me say is being parroted from him and Swirth or some of the original members of the Baking Circle, many of whom are truly experienced bakers. Some even do this professionally! Imagine that! Baking, doing what you love, for a living! Nothing could be sweeter!
      Pretty soon you will find yourself expounding on yellow cake recipes to a newbie on this very forum. You will have come full circle......
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 25, 2014 at 8:33 pm
      Cindy, thanks for the info about the egg whites. Even though I've been baking for 40 years, I'm still not a confident baker and worry every time I bake something. I can follow directions to a T, but, if I have a problem, I have no idea how to fix it. Like your cake flour shortage. I wouldn't have a clue what or how to sub. I love baking and am in awe of anyone who bakes professionally.

reply by: Mrs Cindy on January 26, 2014 at 9:18 am
      Livingwell, I used to be the same way. I could follow ANY recipe, but was afraid to venture too far from the written word. About 12-13 years ago I started taking cooking classes at a speciality store, here in Houston, and stumbled into a Chinese cooking class with an incredible teacher. What she taught went far beyond Chinese food. She was just so calm! If a student did some completely hairbrained thing she fixed it, laughing and joking us through many disasters! I discovered there was no such thing as impossible.
      From that experience, and this forum, I learned that you seldom, if ever, have to throw something in the trash. You can make something from almost anything. Except, of course, for the croissant dough I threw away because I was mad. But, that's a different story! ? (I SHOULD NOT have thrown it away!!)
      The important thing to remember is this: it's just ingredients. Unless you accidentally put rat poison in your bowl, it can still be eaten and who knows what wonderful new recipe you will create! Have fun with it. And if you really screw up, THEN you can throw it away and nobody will have to know about it but you and the garbage man!!
      Stay with us. We will get you over your fear of failure. You have come to the right place!
      ~Cindy

reply by: Livingwell on January 26, 2014 at 2:11 pm
      Thank you, Cindy! My biggest problem is, I'm a perfectionist and want everything to look like it does in the cooking magazines. Yeah, I know, they have food stagers, Photoshop, and other tricks they use, but I want things to look as good as they taste. I'm my own worst critic! I feel like I've learned something from everyone here already, and I've only been a member for about a year and a half.

WHITE CAKE RESULTS Thread IV

THANK YOU, KidPizza for another baking success! I made your white cake recipe today and both himself and I thought it came out very well. Since I had made the yellow cake as a two layer cake, himself requested I make this cake in a 13X9 pan. I followed your instructions to the letter, with two differences: I lowered the oven temperature to 325 because, while my Kitchen Aid 13X9 cake pan isn't as dark as my round Chicago Metallic pans, it is darker than most and I didn't want to overbake the cake and risk it coming out overdone and dry; and I used clear imitation vanilla to keep the color of the batter and cake as white as possible, and mixed it with the milk before adding the milk to the mix. Even with the lower oven temp, we both thought the texture was slightly drier than the yellow cake, but looked good and the cake has great flavor. I doubled the Quick Buttercream Frosting from this site, using my tweaks (see my 6-1-12 and 6-2-12 reviews), and was afraid I would have way too much frosting, but I only had a tad left and it didn't make too much for the cake. You can see in the photos himself took and posted for me that I am not very good at smoothing out the top of the cake, so if anyone has any tips on how to do that, I would appreciate them!
      Here is KidPizza's white cake recipe if anyone would like to try it:
      [Uploader's Note: It is in Thread III]
      Thank you again for ALL your help, Cass! "Penelope"
      posted by: Livingwell on January 19, 2014 at 4:57 pm in General discussions
      reply by: omaria on January 19, 2014 at 7:45 pm

That cake looks beautiful ! I think for such a large surface you did a great job with the frosting. Many little "mistakes" are hidden with icing decorations that get piped on. So you did very well.

reply by: berwynbaker on January 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm
      I will take a slice of that cake, please! BB

reply by: cwcdesign on January 19, 2014 at 8:34 pm
      Looks beautiful! And, I'm impressed that you turned it out of the pan before you frosted it. If it were just for us, I probably would have frosted it in the pan πŸ™‚

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 7:30 am
      Thanks, everybody! I would usually just leave it in the pan for us, too, but I wanted to show KidPizza how the whole cake came out. I was going to try and pipe a border on top to cover up some of the uneven parts, but didn't have enough frosting left.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 8:18 am
      LIVINGWELL:
      Good morning. Penelope, I am very happy this recipe turned out well for you. I would like to address the "SLIGHTLY DRY" words you used. I know Penelope that you do not care to employ honey however, my dear friend this is the ingredient that will provide 'MOISTNESS & it is ANTI~STALING as well. It begins to work overnite. I wish you will consider it. Just remove 4, TBLS of the sugar & add 2, TBLS of honey at the point when you are finished creaming the butter & sugar....THATS IT !!!
      Penelope I thought I would bring up one of the very good uses for the yellow cake....BOSTON CREAM PIE. I have not made one probably in 7, years But I enjoyed them very much.
      The white cake I think it lends itself for a strawberry layer cake with whipped cream all over it.
      I do not know if I mentioned it to you but it is a white cake that I have been experimenting with for a Blueberry muffins/cakes. (Not this recipe. another) You can use it for that as well.
      I am trying to encourage you to become all you can be in the kitchen. There may be a few failures along the way ,but that is part of acquiring our culinary skills & our knowledge.
      Let me know what you are considering.
      ~CASS.

reply by: cwcdesign on January 20, 2014 at 9:02 am
      OK, KP, now I HAVE to try the yellow cake - #1 son's birthday request is always Boston Cream Pie (it's not until August) so I have time to practice πŸ™‚

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 9:57 am
      Oh yummy! I have not made a Boston Cream Pie in *years*, and my last (and first) attempt was a dismal failure. The cake was dry, the cream filling squished out all over the place, and the chocolate topping dribbled down the sides, mixing with the cream filling. How can I say this politely?? It looked
      "predigested" before it had even been served!
      I will try the white cake another time and use a bit of honey. Can you taste it in the cake? I'm not a big honey fan at all and only buy it because himself is. I don't always have superfine sugar on hand, so wonder if the recipe works with regular granulated sugar.
      Have a good day there, Cass, and THANK YOU again for all your help! "Penelope"

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 12:48 pm
      CWCDESIGN:
      Good afternoon. I am sure you will do a good job of the cake & the BC pie. I am going to discuss this very subject with Penelope shortly.
      Enjoy the rest of the day.
      ~CASS.

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 1:07 pm
      LIVINGWELL:
      Penelope, are you enjoying the holiday weekend???? I thought for a few moments about your BC pie as you described. When I made my first one about 14, years ago, I had the same problem...as I was learning how to bake after cooking everyday since 1959. I mentioned this to my chef instructor. He said something about make the pastry cream thicker so that it would not ooze out of the sides. Of course that isn't the answer.
      I had tried it again a few more times but to no avail. Since I have begun to study Baking & Baking Science I have learned the why... the cake comes out like you have described. I will make it again soon. I cannot bake to often I do not have the strength to stand up well. I am experimenting right now. I hope I can get a copy out soon so I can bring it over to where I volunteer for the employees & volunteers to enjoy.
      So my dear friend when you get the notion of trying one more time give me a Warning (lol) & we will discuss it.
      ~CASS.

reply by: cwcdesign on January 20, 2014 at 1:41 pm
      livingwell, was it by any chance the ATK "best" recipe for Boston Cream Pie? My first one with that recipe was a disaster for similar reasons. At least it tasted good, but I have been on the hunt for a better recipe since. Have been meaning to try the King Arthur recipe - they talk about the thickness of the pastry cream on the blog, but since #1 son wasn't here for his birthday, it didn't happen this year.

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 2:07 pm
      Cass, I would very much be interested in your Boston Cream Pie recipe. Do only as much as your time and health allow. We'll be here whenever you're ready to post.
      Cwc, the recipe I tried was from the Betty Crocker cookbook I got as a wedding gift years ago, so my sorry cake was a few years after we got married. I don't know if it was the recipe or my inexperience, but I haven't attempted another one since!

reply by: KIDPIZZA on January 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm
      PENELOPE,
      I was not proposing a recipe for you although if you want one for the pastry cream I can locate one for you in my pro baking books. I was referring to the assembling of the ingredients, ie, pastry cream, & GANACHE or the CHOCOLATE FROSTING if that is your choice of covering. I usually have done a ganache cover. The assembly thereof is the culprit for the disaster if it isn't done correctly.
      ~CASS.

reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2014 at 2:45 pm
      Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. It isn't very different than assembling a layer cake, so I think I'm good there, but thanks for your offer πŸ™‚ "Penelope"

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.