Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls Experiment

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls Experiment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I used to bake King Arthur's Eggnog Scones at Christmas, but that tradition went by the wayside when I had to limit butter. I think that I am going to adapt the King Arthur muffin recipe for tomorrow's breakfast. However, for the New Year's Breakfast, I thought that Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls would be delicious, so I have googled recipes. I was not impressed with most of the blog ones, but I printed the two from Fleischmann's and Red Star:

https://www.fleischmannsyeast.com/recipe/eggnog-cinnamon-rolls/

I'm leaning toward the Red Star recipe, as it uses lots of eggnog and includes some nutmeg in the dough, as well as in the filling. I also like the granulated sugar filling as opposed to the brown sugar in the Fleischmann's recipe because the point is not to drown out the eggnog; however, I like that the Fleischmann's recipe mixes cinnamon and nutmeg in the filling. I think both miss the point by including cream cheese, since the eggnog is the point. I would leave out the liquor and use my usual butterless glaze recipe with eggnog.

I will probably bake a mash-up of the two recipes. The Red Star recipe seems to me to use a lot of flour. As I will be replacing butter with avocado oil and using half white whole wheat flour, I will hold back about 1/2 cup of flour. Both recipes are geared toward hand kneading, and back when I kneaded by hand, I usually used more flour. I think the stand mixer and bread machine incorporate it better. I also have found in the past that both yeast companies tend to call for too much flour in many of their recipes.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not planning to put these together before New Year's Eve, with the idea of baking them the next morning.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Friday evening, I finally had the time to try a recipe for Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls that would use up the rest of the low-fat eggnog I bought for baking. I decided to follow the Fleischmann's recipe, but I substituted 3 ½ cups white whole wheat flour and only used an additional 2 cups of King Arthur AP. I also added ¼ cup special dry milk and ¼ cup flax meal. I cut the salt from 2 tsp. to 1 ½ and used 1/3 cup sugar rather than 6 Tbs. I used the 1 ¾ cup of eggnog that I had and proofed the yeast in ¼ cup water. I replaced 4 Tbs. butter with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. The dough had a slower rise, needing about 90 minutes. The house was not overly cool, although I moved the dough bucket into the area with the wood stove after half an hour. I rolled the dough out to a 12 x 19-inch rectangle, using a rolling pin that gives a quarter inch thickness. For the filling, I increased the cinnamon to 1 Tbs. from 2 tsp. and added 1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg. I brushed the dough with avocado oil before sprinkling the filling over it. I rolled from the long side, cut it into 12 rolls, placed them in a glass baking dish covered with saran, and refrigerated them overnight.

I'll bake them tomorrow and report on the outcome.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I am very pleased with my Eggnog Sweet Rolls. I will post the recipe here at Nebraska Kitchen, even though eggnog season is over.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.