Daily Quiz for September 1, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for September 1, 2019

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What variety of broccoli is generally only found in the fall?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for September 1, 2019]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it, but I shared the information with my husband.

Our broccoli crop, and I don't know what variety it is--was eaten once by caterpillars, resulting in very lacy leaves--then, when it was recovering and a small head had formed on one, the caterpillars came back. My husband was removing them as fast as he could, but a tiny bit of broccoli, which he ate last night, is all he got.

Unless we can solve the caterpillar issue, I don't see broccoli as one of our future crops. I have suggested a "dead zone" around the outside of the long and narrow garden fence, so that the grass does not grow right up next to the enclosure, but that may not solve the problem. It's also why we haven't had a spinach crop. Another gardener told me that her kale was hit as well.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Missed it.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

It usually gets hot so fast in June here that even regular varieties of broccoli bolt before they form a large enough head to eat. I think if I got them in the ground earlier that'd help, but most years it rains so much the ground is a mudpile until late May.

I've done lettuce and spinach without a lot of problems with bugs, but cucumbers seem to get totally eaten by beetles. So I mostly stick to tomatoes and let the local farmers market supply the rest.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.