Cinnamon Rolls

Home Forums Recipes Cinnamon Rolls

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My Revisions to the Holland America Line Cinnamon Rolls

This recipe started out as a thread in the old King Arthur Baking Circle, with a recipe that made a huge number of rolls. I scaled it down and tweaked it a bit.

Yield
      12 rolls

Ingredients

Custard Pudding:

5 ounces milk, room temperature
      1 Tablespoon Birds Custard Powder
      1 Tablespoon sugar

Dough:

3 ounces warm water
      1 Tablespoon instant yeast
      10 ounces milk, room temperature
      1 large egg
      1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour
      5 ounces custard pudding (see above)

Filling:

5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
      1 cup sugar
      1/4 cup cinnamon
      1 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and then dried
      3/4 cup chopped pecans

Caramel Topping:

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
      3-4 Tablespoons brown sugar
      Optional: Enough whole pecan halves to loosely cover the surface of the pan, figure 4-6 pecans halves per roll.

Frosting (Optional):

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
      1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
      1/4 cup milk, room temperature
      1/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
      Instructions

The original recipe (and a lot of discussion about it) can be found in the thread 'OMG AWESOME Cinnamon Buns' on the old Baking Circle Forum.

These are my revisions to that recipe. I've turned it into more of a caramel/pecan roll with raisins.

Major changes: The custard pudding instructions in the original recipe seemed all wrong, so I followed the instructions on the Birds can to make five ounces of pudding. I'm using a bit more flour, and a lot less filling, though one higher in cinnamon. (I also add raisins and chopped pecans.) I'm also using a different frosting, but that's just a matter of personal preference. My wife prefers them with more butter/brown sugar topping and no frosting.

Mix the custard with a fork and set it aside.

Mix the dough, alternating adding liquids and flour. I add the custard about half way through adding in the flour.

Allow to rise an hour, punch it down, then let it rise until doubled, probably around 45 minutes.

Roll out to 18" high and x 24" wide. Brush surface with melted butter, except along the top edge. Sprinkle on cinnamon sugar mixture, then put on raisins and pecans if using them.

Dampen the top edge with water (or egg white) to get it to stick down better.

Brush 10 x 14 pan with the melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar before putting rolls in the pan. (This produces a caramel-like topping on the rolls.) If you like whole pecans on your rolls, put them on top of the butter/brown sugar mixture.

Roll up along the long edge (so that you get a roll 24" wide, though it always spreads out to more like 26" when I'm rolling it out. Cut into 12 rolls about 2" high.

If you like shorter/smaller cinnamon rolls, as we do, roll it out to 16 x 30 instead and cut into 35 rolls, just under an inch thick. This takes a bigger pan (or two pans), I use one that is 17 x 21. (You may need to increase the amount of melted butter and brown sugar you use in the pan.)

Allow rolls to rise until they start to touch, about 45 minutes.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until solidly golden brown. (Do not underbake!)

Invert rolls onto a second pan and allow to cool for 10 minutes before frosting.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.