Power outage this morning

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

There was a power interruption this morning that took the tssi.com network offline until I reset it.

I’m currently looking at moving to a new Internet service provider, if I switch there will likely be some kind of outage at changeover, but I don’t know when or for how long yet.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Assuming it stays on schedule, the changeover of the IP service for the tssi.com domain will take place on October 13th. This should improve access speed once everything settles down, but there will be some disruption as the routing tables are updated.

Italiancook
    Participant

My power company had its own outage for 4-1/4 hours. After careful consideration, I decided the meat in the freezer would be okay. I didn’t throw it away. But I can’t decided what to do about the long loaf of bread and one boule that were in the freezer. I’m thinking that being bread, they may have started to defrost. But because of the work involved in the bread, I don’t really want to throw it away. Nevertheless, I don’t want to serve or eat tainted bread. Does anyone have a guess as to what I should do with the bread?

BakerAunt
    Participant

Italian Cook–Do not throw away the bread. It is fine. We had a power outage last summer that lasted 23 hours. We did not open the refrigerator or the freezer. All the food was fine.

For me, the clock would be ticking after 24 hours.

I always have a lot of frozen broth, pumpkin, etc. in my freezer, so that helps to keep it cold in the event of a power outage. One of my friends who has a chest freezer usually has some milk bottles with water frozen in the event of a power failure.

Italiancook
    Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for your input on the bread. “clock would be ticking after 24 hours” is what I had decided, too.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I’ve taken bread out when defrosting the freezer and put it back afterwards, refreezing it didn’t appear to harm the bread much. Bread isn’t like meat that will start to decompose and grow bacteria after a few hours in the danger zone (over 40 degrees), the main reasons for freezing bread are to slow down starch retrogradation (aka staleness) and mold growth.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

As a reminder, this Wednesday is when our new ISP is scheduled to complete the install (they buried the fiber on Friday, but they still have inside work to do), so there will be a period of time when my entire network will be offline, including this site. I’m hoping it will be short, but these things have a tendency to take longer than you think they will.

cwcdesign
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up Mike

BakerAunt
    Participant

Good luck with the ISP install, Mike. We will all be waiting for Nebraska Kitchen to re-emerge.

RiversideLen
    Participant

Looks like we’re back!

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Yeah, and I’m worn out from dealing with ISPs and domain providers!

cwcdesign
    Participant

You’re amazing, Mike. Thank you for all your hard work! I appreciated the email last night.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.