Possible Changes to the site

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

As we approach the 6th anniversary of this site (launched May 11, 2016), I'm looking at making some changes to the site, most of which should be behind the scenes for now.

At some point I may make some more visible changes, I'm still looking for a better way to handle formatting for printing posts, especially recipes.

We're not growing much as a community, and that's something I was hoping for. As older members drop out, we need to attract new active posters to keep things lively.

Spread the word
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I am not sure why we have not had more new people joining the site, except that people seem less likely to join groups these days, even online groups. I thought that we would see more people during the pandemic, but it did not happen.

We also have some members who have not posted in a while. I hope that they are all ok.

navlys
    Participant

Maybe a heads up on Facebook? The password to submit anything requires several letters, digits etc.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We usually get 1-2 new subscribers a week, but of the new subscribers I can recall over the last several months, only one wasn't a spammer. (A BBGA member subscribed.)

And all the spammers had IP addresses that traced to outside the US. Several had email addresses that were with services commonly used by hackers and scammers.

chocomouse
    Participant

I wonder if each of us contacted one person/baker/chef we know and invited her/him to join us? Maybe you have the current address or are still in touch with someone from the old Baking Circle? What if you included a copy/paste of a recipe that someone here posted recently, or an older posted recipe that has shown to be popular? I can think of 2 people who would be likely to at least check us out.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm looking at a different content management system for websites (drupal instead of wordpress), to see if it solves some issues, like the strange characters that show up on some posts. This showed up in a recent release of wordpress and I can't find a fix for it.

I also really want a better system for storing, displaying and printing recipes, I haven't found a wordpress one that I like the looks of, maybe there'll be one in drupal, or maybe I can figure out how to write one in drupal.

Drupal has a reputation for being more programmer-oriented, somehow I've just never quite figured out how to do wordpress development. (It helps that drupal will run with a database package I already know, postgresql.)

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My first impression of Drupal is that it may be relatively easy to set up a structured form for entering recipes, I haven't looked into formatting it for print yet, but I suspect there are plenty of tools for that.

One of the WordPress packages that I use on the current site just doubled their annual fee, and I've been less than impressed with it lately anyway (their customer support is essentially nil), so I think it is time to move to version 2 of this site.

At some point before mid-May, I hope to have a test site people can look at and try to break. 🙂

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Progress on a new site site using Drupal instead of WordPress is inching along, the good news is it appears Drupal doesn't muck up foreign characters like WordPress started doing a few months back. I need to test it with a few other devices (like my iPhone) and with a cut and paste from something like Word.

My goal is to use this as an opportunity to redo the way recipes are done, using a custom template that is designed for recipes, hopefully one that can do things like resizing recipes and analyzing them. Apparently that's a bit more complicated than I had hoped, but I think it is a skill I can develop. I may be a tech dinosaur but I'm still a techie at heart.

I've turned off the new member sign up link for now, we haven't been getting that many real new members anyway, just a few spammers a week, most of them with IP addresses that geolocate to Russia or Asia or Africa.

Migrating the forums content and the recipes over to a new data structure is something that should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Joan Simpson
    Participant

Thank you Mike for all you do!

BakerAunt
    Participant

At the local farmers' market today, I got into a baking discussion with a woman who bakes and her husband who grinds his own grain and bakes bread. You know that you have met a dedicated baker when he tells you he buys 50 lbs. bags of flour! They were interested in Nebraska Kitchen and may check out the site.

He is also looking to buy a new grain grinder, and I told him that Mike has a thread on grinding your own grain.

I recall Mike saying that he was halting subscribers, pending a possible shift to another platform, so I told them that I did not know if it was possible to join at this time, but I suggested that if interested in doing so, they might email Mike.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Subscriptions are currently open, I'm still doing some exploratory work on a new site but it is not progressing much yet. The primary new feature I want is a better system for entering, displaying and printing recipes and posts, and that's got to get finished before I can look into other issues, such as how to transfer content from the current site.

Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I printed up some business cards for MNK, if anybody wants a few of them, drop me a note via email with your postal address and I'll stick a dozen or so in an envelope.

I have to say I was really impressed with the demos of the MockMill at last year's Johnson & Wales International Bread Symposium. It might be too small for a cottage-industry scale baker, though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.