Update: I did some checking and there were definitely some periods of high usage of our network connection.
With some help from my older son, who is a networking engineer, I found that our TV, which has a wireless connection to the Internet through our in-house network to do things like watch YouTube videos and Amazon Prime videos, apparently has an unpatched exploit in its firmware and it was connecting to servers in China, doing heaven knows what.
I’m working on fixing that, if nothing else works I’ll disable the wireless server on it. But that may help with the problem shortly.
Well that was not fun! I tried to fix a small problem on the site and it turned into a much bigger one. And when I got that fixed, a completely different problem showed up.
But I think we’re back up now. The good news is we now have an SSL certificate, so the site works with https and users won’t get ‘unsecure server’ warnings from browsers, and we’re on the latest versions of all the software and tools the site uses. I did have to disable one plugin because it appears to be broken now. Fortunately, it’s not a critical one.