Wood Burning Oven

Home Forums Baking — Savory Wood Burning Oven

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mitzimuffins
    Participant

I am the new proud owner of a wood burning oven. I need all the help I can get. I couldn't help myself and made pizza one of the first nights it was up and running. I did well for a first attempt( I used Jim Leahey's no knead pizza dough recipe). I am interested in anyone else's experiences using an oven like this. I hope to expand it beyond pizza. I have some great books to follow but would welcome anyone out there that has some experience using this type of oven.This has been on my bucket list and feel really lucky,blessed to have this oven.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

What kind of oven did you get?

mitzimuffins
        Participant

I got a small(for a brick oven) portable oven made by Alfa Pizza called the 5 Minuti. It is still quit substantial, weighing in at around 200 lbs but it is on wheels so it can be moved around with some effort. It is big enough for my small family. We made 4 pizzas in no time over the weekend. It heats up to around 800 degrees F and has a cooking surface large enough to do a couple of small pizzas or a couple of loaves of bread. I'm looking forward to baking some bread in the future but have to spend some time learning how to properly build and stoke the fire for a longer cook time.
          I have a lot to learn.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

There's a vendor at the local farmers markets who has a Forno Bravo wood-burning oven that he hauls around to farmers markets and other functions. He says it takes several hours to get up to temp and 2-3 days to cool completely down.

Please keep us posted on your progress. The San Francisco Baking Institute has run a few short courses on baking breads and pizzas in a wood burning oven. I think King Arthur Flour has run similar courses in Vermont.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
            aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Sorry I did not see this sooner.

I have a beehive wood burning oven and I've used it to cook chicken as well as pizza. You will need a roasting pan that will stand up to the heat as well as a way to handle the pan. My oven heats up to over 1000 degrees (I once leaned in to close and singed my hair off). The oven also came with a wooden door I can use to close it off.

There are basically two ways I can cook meats. I can heat it up (it takes a few hours) and put the chicken in while it is hot. The heat is intense and I can roast a chicken super fast.

Or I can let the wood burn down and put the chicken in and then put the door in. This cooks slower and works more like a smoker.

How do you like the Jim Leahy no knead pizza dough? I am looking for a no knead recipe to go along with my standard recipe for a pizza class I am teaching.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.