What are You Cooking the Week of August 6, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 6, 2017?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We just got back in town this evening, so I'm late starting this week's thread. Here it is.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Leftovers tonight,pork tenderloin,rutabagas and potato salad.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I tried another experiment with a pork roast in the crock pot. The vegetables turned out well, but half of the pork roast (the upper part I think) did not cook through. We ended up putting the sliced meat and the vegetables into the microwave to finish. I am not going to do pork roasts in my crock pot anymore, since I cannot figure out how to keep them from either being overdone or undercooked. Maybe it is the age of my crock pot (about 30 years old). I'll stick to doing the occasional beef roast when it is hot. Otherwise, I'll use the oven.

navlys
          Participant

I used TJ's rectangular pizza crust squares and the pizza turned out great. I use Pepino's pizza sauce which my husband and I really like. I open the can and use maybe 1/4 cup of sauce. I divide the rest of the sauce into sandwich baggies and put those in a quart freezer bag and freeze.

Italiancook
            Participant

On Sunday, I made lamb loin chops, broccoli & cauliflower. The veggies were for the fridge for this meal and later in the week. Today, I made braised pork chops. I followed BakerAunt's lead & saved the leftover braising liquid to make gravy when eating leftover pork chops. I have a chicken in the slow cooker. I had planned on having it for dinner, but the pork chop lunch was large with broccoli and fried potatoes. Now, there isn't enough hunger for a chicken dinner. I'm going to use some of the chicken to make chicken fried rice this week. Other than that, my cooking for the week is over. It's leftovers.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Today we had left over pork tenderloin,potatoes with a cream sauce of butter and sour cream,and cooked carrots.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Yesterday, eldest son Nate, turned 29. He requested "Dad's Ribs," potato salad and Boston Cream Pie. I'll talk about the BCP in the baking forum.

On Tuesday I made the potato salad but it probably took me an extra 45 minutes because I sprained my right wrist (I'm left-handed) at work and had to go to immediate care during work because of workman's comp. it was quite the process to peel the potatoes. I put a ziplock over my wrist and splint and had to carefully peel the potatoes without twisting my right arm. I got it done however.

My husband learned his version of ribs from a restaurateur down here probably 25 years ago. They get baked long and slow in Italian dressing until ready to fall off the bone. Then they go on the grill (we use gas) with the BBQ sauce for up to 20 minutes. We were really excited to use my new grill for this. But the weather decided not to cooperate - it poured like crazy ? So, I googled cooking ribs when you get rained out. And Mark Bittman had an article about that since he lives in NY and can't always count on the weather. Fortunately, he likes to precook (braise) his as well. The answer is the broiler. We did put them on a rack over a sheet pan and broiled until - as he said - they are "crisp" It worked out surprisingly well and we enjoyed them. I also made a plate of sliced tomatoes with mozzarella, basil and balsamic vinegar.

Tonight I roasted some shrimp which is local.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Cwdesign sure hope your wrist doesn't give you much trouble!As my mom always said -where there is a will-there is a way!BBQ is one of my favorites!

Tonight I made Shepards pie with mashed potatoes and cheese on top.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We had leftovers tonight, but I did saute some zucchini and mushrooms in butter and olive oil to go with them.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Sorry, I should have put it in baking, so I deleted it here.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm making black bean meatloaf, because I have two pounds of ground beef to use up.

chocomouse
                          Participant

This week I have made a bean salad, sweet Italian sausage kebobs, and grilled chicken thighs with green beans and tomatoes from the garden. I know we ate more than that, but I guess it wasn't very exciting if I can't remember what it was!

chocomouse
                            Participant

I don't know how to edit my last post, but I have remembered another meal! I made a chicken salad for sandwiches one night, and we had a good old-fashioned summer meal of ribs, corn on the cob, and potato salad. Delicious,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.