What are you planting in your garden this year?

Home Forums Gardening What are you planting in your garden this year?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I planted 4 tomatoes and one parsley and basil in two containers in the middle of May. They are doing pretty good, the basil is doing great but the parsley is overshadowed a bit by the tomato plant.

tomatoes‑1

There are tomatoes on the vines.

tomatoes‑2

I also have a pretty good crop of bunnies. Too bad for them they won't be able to feast on my tomatoes.

bunny

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I tried to post 3 photos in the above post, only the last one is showing, not sure what I did wrong. I'll try again.

tomatoes‑1

Attachments:
        RiversideLen
        Participant

Now I'm more confused, two of them are now showing but they weren't before. Here's the 3rd.

Attachments:
          cwcdesign
          Participant

Everything looks so healthy Len, including the bunny? I hope he doesn't learn how to leap

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We've been watching a baby bunny grow this spring/summer, it figured out how to climb into the pots on the back patio, climbing into taller pots from the shorter ones, and has been feasting on my wife's annuals. It especially seems to love her gazanias. Finches and other small birds really love gazanias when they go to seed in the fall, too, so we moved the pots around to make it harder for the bunny to get into the taller pots where the gazanias are, and got some more gazania plants, too. The ones the bunny had nibbled down are rebounding, I'm pleased to report.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Yes, you do have to watch out for bunnies. Plant some for them and some for you. About 10 years ago, when I was still growing my tomatoes in the ground, I went out there one evening to water them and saw a rabbit in the next row close to a plant. Then his nose started twitching and the next thing I know his mouth is on a tomato. Which happened to be the first ripe tomato of the season, I was going to pick it the next day. It dawned on me that this was a Kodak moment. I set the hose down, walked back to the house, got the camera and changed the lens, carefully walked back out and hoping the rabbit was still there. He was.

bunny‑1

Attachments:
                RiversideLen
                Participant

He had a feast.

bunny‑2

Attachments:
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Squirrels will eat tomatoes too. (In fact, our gardener tells us that squirrels will eat the composite material our new deck is made out of.)

Not sure about possums and raccoons, but I suspect they'll eat anything.

Have you ever heard of the fence Australia built to try to keep rabbits out of the western area of the continent? (Rabbits are not native to Australia, they came with the British settlers and, having no natural predators, multiplied like, well, you know.)

See Australia's State Barrier Fence

navlys
                    Participant

In my deck planters I am growing basil, dill, chives, parsley ,mint, lemon grass, tarragon, rosemary, thyme and sage. Twice the planter in the front of my house was attacked by a rabbit. The first time the rabbit ate the flowers but this last time the flowers were ripped out and not eaten?? Maybe I am wrongly accusing the rabbit this last time?

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Several weeks ago my husband planted a small garden. It is late in the season, but we hope to get a few vegetables from it. He planted bush beans, radishes, a few carrots, and lettuce. He made it narrow, with the idea that the deer do not like to jump into a narrow space, and put a short fence around it to deter our bunny rabbits. Well, the little deer did not jump in, but it did put its front legs over, and a couple of bean plants were eaten back. My husband then covered the vegetables with chicken wire. He thought he was ok, but a couple of days ago, some of his lettuce was eaten. We have a lot of old screens from the old windows for this house. He has now rigged them up so that they cover the garden. He can get in to weed and to water, and the sun gets in. We shall see how resourceful this yearling deer is.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Earlier this week, my husband harvested four radishes from the garden. He grows the radishes for me, as he does not care for them.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Either those are really big radishes or he didn't plant very many. 🙂

My mother used to plant a row of radishes that was a good 20 feet long. Since they're a fairly fast crop, we'd be eating them by the bowlful for several weeks.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Today my husband harvested a bit of the lettuce, which we had on sandwiches. The bean plants are actually developing flowers--probably because it has gotten warm here again. It still remains to see if we will end up with some beans.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Although earlier this week the deer did get its head into an open area (now covered with chicken wire), it did not get too much. We've had lettuce from the garden, in addition to some radishes. Thursday evening we had some steamed green beans from it, and we will be having some more. It was a good experiment, considering that we did not get to Indiana until mid-July, and it took a while to get the garden planted. My husband is already making plans for a spring and a summer garden.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.