What are You Cooking the Week of September 3, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 3, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made an omelet for lunch--just one egg, but I sautéed onion, red bell pepper, and sliced Baby Bella mushrooms and sprinkled on sharp cheddar for the filling. We will have leftover rotisserie chicken and green beans tonight with some wonderful sweet corn from the farmers' market yesterday. These are small ears, but they are among the best we've had this season.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made a cheesy cauliflower soup for lunch, but added onion, garlic, basil and tarragon to the recipe. It is very good. I will freeze the remainder in individual serving sizes for future cool days. Last night I made cole slaw, broccoli salad, seafood salad, and zuchinni pancakes (although I used cucumber instead of zuchinni because that is what I had in my garden). We'll eat salads again tonight, and anything that is still leftover will be finished off tomorrow night with grilled chicken.

Italiancook
        Participant

I made cabbage soup from "Cook-Ahead Cookery." It's based on sweet/sour. I reduced the brown sugar to 1/4 cup. It calls for a chunked apple. I used 3/4 of an apple. It was still too sweet for me, although I froze the leftover & will eat it. Next time, I'm deleting the brown sugar and will use only 1/2 of an apple. I removed the apples before serving and freezing. I'm thinking this soup needs something besides vinegar and apple and tomato for flavoring. If you make cabbage soup, what do you put in for flavoring? I'm thinking maybe caraway seeds, but really have no clue.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've made a cabbage beef soup, but the beef is probably the dominant flavor profile. Caraway should be good with it, cabbage goes well with garlic, mustard seed, dill, thyme, celery seed, tarragon, nutmeg and savory. (But stick to no more than 3 or 4 herbs/spices.)

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm making Veal Zurich (it's similar to a Stroganoff but with a cream/white wine sauce) for supper today to celebrate my birthday.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made fried rice with ham tonight and pear salad with mayonnaise and cheese on top.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Tonight, I made one of my vegetable stir-fry with leftover pork, the drippings from it, and soba noodles.

Unless there is another package of soba (buckwheat noodles) hidden in the pantry, that is my last one. I have not been able to find them here. I was going to stock up before we left Lubbock, but suddenly, they became hard to find there as well. I may need to look for a buckwheat pasta recipe.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Not all soba noodle recipes are gluten free, here's a link to one that is:
                    gluten free soba noodles

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Mike--the link goes back to your "getting seeds to stick" post.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Oops, fixed.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thanks Mike.

I would have to buy arrowroot powder and psyllium husk powder for this recipe. I'll have to investigate that.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I can probably find other GF recipes that don't use those ingredients. Arrowroot is something I always have on hand, psyllium husk powder is not.

Psyllium husk is a way of adding fiber (it's the main ingredient in Metamucil), and it probably adds structure as well, which is always a bit of a challenge with gluten-free products.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

We actually don't need gluten-free. We just like the taste of the buckwheat noodles.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Here's a simpler soba noodle recipe that isn't GF:

40 grams AP flour
                                160 grams buckwheat flour
                                80 grams water

And here's a picture guide to making soba noodles from the LA Times:
                                Soba Noodles

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Thanks, Mike. I have written down the recipe and instructions. When I try the recipe, I'll report back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.