What are You Cooking the Week of September 24, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 24, 2017?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Northern Indiana has had a hot spell, so my husband wanted me to do a roast in the crock pot, particularly a pork roast, since we found one at a good price last week. I had sworn off of doing so after my last pork roast in a crock pot disaster (not cooked through) and earlier overcooked. This time I'm cooking it for longer on low, and using a recipe, "Pork Loin with Apples and Sage," from "Meals in Minutes: Slow Cooker"--recipes by Norman Kolpas (pp. 48-49). It used 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup apple juice. I had neither readily available, so I used 1 1/2 cups water and added 2 Tbs. of the boiled apple cider that KAF sells. Seasonings are onion, garlic, sage, and cinnamon. Granny Smith apples are added an hour before it finishes. I'll add to this post after dinner tonight about how the recipe works for us.

Analysis: The meat was dry, although still tasty. Next time I will cook on low for five hours rather than almost six, before adding the apples. I will reduce the sage from 2 tsp. to 1 tsp. I will increase the boiled apple cider from 2 Tbs. to 3 Tbs.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had breakfast for supper tonight...Sausage,grits,eggs and toast.

Italiancook
        Participant

This evening, I put together the marinade for "Lickin' Chicken" from Cook-Ahead Cookery. It'll be tomorrow's dinner.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had BBQ Chicken on top of stove with BBQ sauce for gravy over mashed potatoes and garden peas and carrots.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Left over black eyed peas,rice and cubed pork.

BakerAunt
              Participant

To go with the leftover pork on Wednesday, and to take advantage of cooling weather, I tried a new recipe, "Crispy Roasted Garlic Potatoes," which appeared in Cook's Country (sorry, it does not have an issue number or date). I used yellow potatoes, as I had no red ones, and as they were small, I cut them in half. I had about 3.1 pounds, so I doubled the recipe for the coating. I used grapeseed oil as it would not smoke at the roasting temperature of 450F. I did not add the minced garlic (already had garlic powder in the coating) or the lemon zest added to the potatoes before serving, but I did add the butter. We liked it a lot. The potatoes were not crunchy, but they were meltingly good to eat. I will be making it again.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Friday evening, I made salmon patties to go with the leftover roasted potatoes. There will be enough for Saturday evening as well.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

This week I made slow cooker Buffalo chicken to serve over roasted cauliflower, a baked glazed salmon with green beans & red peppers. We were disappointed in the glaze - it used stevia which made it taste synthetic and it was thin - need to find a better glaze recipe. I also made sheet pan fajitas and last night Will and I shared cooking duties. I made burgers in the broiler folding Mark Bittman's directions - it was a great alternative to grilling in windy drizzle. He made sautéed shredded zucchini, grilled onions and a special sauce he makes. He and his friend had buns and bacon; I did not. The burgers also had guacamole- very decadent.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I tried using Stevia in a recipe and hated the taste. I gave the bag away to someone who wanted it.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm with you, I think stevia tastes weird.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.