What are you cooking the week of September 16, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of September 16, 2018?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My wife is still on the BRAT diet, so I probably won't do much cooking again this week other than making custard and Rice Krispy Treats, but here's a thread for everyone else.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For lunch on Sunday, I mixed leftover brown rice with a drained, rinsed can of low-salt chickpeas, then added some of my homemade tomato sauce. Simple. Good. Healthy.

RiversideLen
        Participant

BakerAunt, I love it when simple meals are tasty.

Tonight I made a vegatable lasagna. I haven't made a lasagna is a couple of years. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For dinner on Monday, I made a Spaghetti Squash-Turkey Casserole. It’s a variation on a lasagna (great minds think alike, Len), only without noodles. The base recipe came from the cooking blog “eatyourselfskinny.com, when I googled spaghetti squash casserole. I used 93% lean ground turkey, I used my homemade tomato sauce that I made on Saturday. I added more chopped onion and garlic (from farmers’ market). I did not use the chicken broth or the Stevia (cannot figure out why it was in there). I did add 1 Tbs. tomato paste to my meat sauce, and I used 2 tsp. Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset salt-free seasoning in place of her spices, since I know my husband likes it. I added 2 Tbs. flax meal to the sauce. I used 4 oz. Mozzarella, which I cut into pieces. To cook the spaghetti squash, I followed the directions in Ken Haedrich’s The Harvest Baker. It is not a quick recipe, but it makes a 13x9 inch pan, so we have plenty of leftovers for another three meals at least. We cooked up some frozen peas as the side dish.

If you are interested, here is the link:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
            • This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had beans and wieners for supper tonight, as my wife's stomach is starting to get back to normal.

RiversideLen
              Participant

That looks interesting, BakerAunt. I just might give that a try. But first I have half a box of lasagna noodles to use up................

chocomouse
                Participant

That spaghetti squash casserole does sound good, and I will try it. It's a lot healthier than my usual Pizza Spaghetti Squash recipe, which is just the spaghetti squash with all your favorite pizza toppings dumping on top. I'm struggling to remember to buy veggies at the grocery store. Usually, I just pick from my garden until late October's frost, but not this year. Basically, all that survived the drought is winter squash and tomatoes.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I'm sorry about your garden woes, Chocomouse. At least you have the tomatoes and winter squash--both of which are featured in the Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe.

On Thursday afternoon, I made another batch of my tomato sauce with tomatoes from our garden and again left the peel. I did put in some onion, garlic, and celery. I froze this batch, perhaps for another Spaghetti-Turkey "Lasagna" in the future.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For dinner on Friday, I made Salmon with Dill and Couscous—and added ½ tsp. chives. We had it with the first harvest of the second planting of green beans from our garden.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Cooler weather moved in yesterday, so Saturday is a good day for soup for dinner and to use some of that broth in the freezer. I tend to throw my soups together, based on what is in the house, so I have to write down what I did. I started by cooking 2/3 cup Bob’s Red Mill Hull-less Barley in 4 cups of the broth for 80 minutes. It’s supposed to be healthier than the usual pearl barley, but I know from previous experimenting that it takes a while to cook and get soft. In large Le Creuset pot, I sautéed diced onion and celery in about 1 ½ Tbs. grapeseed oil, as I wanted a more neutral flavor than olive oil, added garlic, then added about 8 oz. sliced Baby Bella mushrooms. I added the cooked barley and its liquid, 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup Mix (red and brown lentils, split green and yellow peas, some letter barley that always dissolves), then added another 4 cups broth. I used ½ tsp dried Rosemary, 1 tsp. dried thyme, and ½ tsp. ground sage to season. After bringing to a boil, I simmered for an hour, decided it was too thick and added 2 cups more broth from the freezer, then let it sit covered until dinner. We like this version of soup a lot, but some of the flavor may be because half of this broth was made using the bones of a rotisserie chicken.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.