What are You Cooking the Week of September 10, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 10, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We will be having left over soup tonight, but for those of you who will be cooking, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I don't think it counts as cooking, but . . . I had 3-1/4 cups homemade chicken broth leftover that I didn't freeze. I boiled it, added rice, gently boiled the rice for about 15 minutes and called it homemade soup. Hey, it's in my best Italian cookbook. I sprinkled grated Romano cheese on top, and it was delicious soup!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Today was the first day it's been really cool here and we had chili.Everyone has been in a tizzy with preparing for the hurricane.We were suppose to get high winds and rain,praying we don't for the trees and limbs coming down on power lines.It's already fizzled out some and turned away from us.We are in South Ga.near Valdosta.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Joan, you stay safe. We had to evacuate but currently glad it's going further west. We're still expecting problems from storm site and wind and rain but hope that we'll be able to come home sooner than later. We ended up in PA cuz we had reservations in Milledgeville for Tuesday and when they called an earlier evacuation, we couldn't get rooms - the entire state of Georgia is booked! So, friends said to go west - glad we went North instead (free rooms at a friend's) I guess the storm is over the island now.

Today I made the mac and cheese that I was going to make to sustain us if we stayed.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by cwcdesign.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

Italian Cook--it does count as cooking! It actually helps to see some of the simpler meals that people do. It gives me ideas, just as more complicated cooking does.

Joan and Cwcdesign--I wondered how you two were doing with the storm coming in. I hope that all will be well.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Thanks all, we're hanging in everything so far is good.My husband about goes nuts listening to Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel being so dramatic,listening to ole Jim will make you think we're doomed.All we've gotten so far is rain and the storm part hasn't gotten to us yet.Praying power stays on tomorrow.Glad you have a place to go Cwcdesign.Hey Italian Cook anything you have to prepare counts as cooking to me too.I love simple.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Even Mac and Cheese from a box is more cooking than some people do!

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Joan, how are you how holding up now? The causeway has been closed due to flooding and there has already been a 6.1 foot storm surge and next high tide is at 1. The good news is they were originally anticipating 10-12 feet and the island is mostly at 12 feet! Our power is out and the 60% of the sewer lift stations are down.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Hey ya'll we're fine,our power went out this morning at 6:20 a.m. and came back on at 5:00 p.m.We have been blessed as only a few limbs and debris in the yard.A lot of friends and family has trees on their homes and trees on their cars so we surely won't complain.Our road we live on had several trees across the road and volunteer firemen and people were out cutting them down and clearing the way.Nothing was open around us,no gas stations or restaurants but we were prepared for that.Buddy when the electric came back on I got a pot of coffee going.We had steady rain & winds were very scary....fierce,you could hear the trees cracking in the yard and woods near our house.I'm glad Irma's gone.Cwcdesign I pray you will find your place in good shape when you get back home.I was very proud of our area, I was told several places were giving food to the evacuees,and several restaurants fed the people that were parked in the parking lots free also.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                      cwcdesign
                      Participant

We will know later today when they will allow us back. Only emergency personnel allowed on for assessment purposes. No power, flooding seems to have been limited to the coast, marshes' edges and other low lying areas, some trees down, but we lost hundreds last year, so that helped minimize tree damage. Early reports indicate that where we live and my mom lives have sustained a few trees down. At least one condo in my complex has roof damage, and no structural damage at my mom's, just some ceiling tiles in the garage. They don't let us back until water,sewer and power are back on. We'll know more around noon.

I think my elder son and I are going to go to Gettysburg this afternoon since we're so close and neither of us has ever been.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

Joan...I'm so very glad you guys didn't have terrible damages! RandyD lives in Baxley, GA and I figured he probably got hit but have no idea for certain.

Carol...we're thinking of you and your mom and your places and hoping for the very best for you all!

Hoping this will be the last of the bad storms for a very long time for everyone.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Made Taco Salad today one of my husbands favorite- but I rolled mine in a tortilla wrap like a burrito.Hit the spot!

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

We had cubed pork,macaroni and cheese,leftover garden pea salad and creamed corn.Fridge is about cleaned out.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My wife defrosted the freezer over the weekend, so I had 10 pounds of chicken thighs and legs to use up, so I made a big pot of chicken stock, most of which I'll freeze for soup later this fall. Not sure what I'll do with the chicken meat, maybe a batch of soup and some chicken salad.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I've been busy "putting food by" from the garden. I have frozen about 10 quarts of cauliflower, and made cauliflower-cheese soup and pickled cauliflower. I froze a couple of pints of chopped green peppers, and am anxiously hoping some will soon turn red for a hot pepper relish. I also made 4 quarts of tomato sauce with celery, onion, and peppers ready for winter soups and pastas. Last night I fixed a roast of pork, with herbs and boiled cider, and we have leftovers for sandwiches.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.