What are You Cooking the Week of October 8, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 8, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Various cooks among my husband's cousins are cooking an early Thanksgiving dinner today, so I'm not cooking, but for those of you who are, here is the thread for this second week in October.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Not much cooking here today we had buttermilk pancakes and sausage for supper.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs tonight.

Italiancook
          Participant

I've been busy this morning preparing for tomorrow's lunch guest. I have a pot roast cooking as I type. I used the recipe in "Cook-Ahead Cookery." It cooks with veggies and veggie liquid that later are blended with flour to make gravy. Tomorrow, I'll make mashed potatoes.

I also cleaned 2 boxes of strawberries for tomorrow's dessert. I have Sarah Moulton's shortcakes in the freezer to use with the strawberries. Instead of whipped cream, I'm going to use mascarpone.

As soon as the roast is on a different burner cooling, I'll make Roman Broccoli from "Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking." It has to be made the day before.

I made the butternut squash yesterday, and I'll pull Parker Rolls from the freezer for the meal.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Your dinner menu sounds delicious, Italian Cook!

We are having a cool, rainy day, the first one in a very long time. I'm making a beef rump roast in the crockpot with Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. I'm experimenting by cooking it for longer on low.

I also baked two pie pumpkins, removed the peel, and processed the pumpkin. I'll freeze it in portions later tonight.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
              cwcdesign
              Participant

Last night I made Ina Garten’s Lemon Chicken Breast’s - delicious but next time I’d use smaller breasts and remember to broil to crisp up the skin. I served them with green beans and basmati rice.

For dessert I made tiramisu (our guest’s all time favorite dessert) and I used the recipe I got from a cooking class I took with Nancy Verde Barr back in the 80’s. I hadn’t made it in eons because I always worry about using raw eggs. I bought a dozen Davidson’s pasteurized raw eggs and they worked just fine. One interesting note. Back then the recipe called for mixing ricotta with heavy cream because mascarpone was so hard to find. It was as delicious as I remembered. Worth slipping off my diet for.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Had some fresh Oyster Stew tonight ,pricey but good!20.60 for a pint.We both had 2 bowls and sent one to my sis that lives by us.The oysters were real small like we like them for stew.Fish market man said they are having a hard time getting fish etc.because of storms.

oldelady
                  Participant

I've been working on developing a scalloped oyster recipe using our home grow oyster mushrooms this week. I think I finally have "The One". I'm allergic to shellfish so have to have the oldeman check it out to make sure the recipe works and he said this last one is as close as I'll get without real oysters.

We have a mushroom grower friend who comes to visit three or four times a year and I try to come up with something new made with mushrooms each time he comes to visit. Looks like "scalloped oysters"
                    will be on the menu this time.

Italiancook
                    Participant

oldelady, I think it's exciting that you grow oyster mushrooms! On the rare occasions I see them in the market, I buy them. I put them in a tempura batter and fry them. We love them with Butternut Squash Stew.

Italiancook
                      Participant

cwcdesign, since you like Ina's Lemon Chicken Breasts, you may like her recipe for Lemon Chicken with Croutons. Link below. This recipe is good for people who like croutons. The first time I made it, I made the croutons on top of the stove, as she suggests. That took more time and effort than I wanted. In my opinion, croutons are best made in the oven, in a more hands-off approach. Sorry, I don't recall the temperature or the time for those type of croutons. But my son loved this chicken and croutons.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-chicken-with-croutons-recipe-1943429

navlys
                        Participant

This week I made pasta with shrimp in a tomato cream sauce and grilled pork cutlets with cilantro peanut pesto. I found the pasta recipe on Epicurious and an almost identical recipe on Cooking Light. Epicurious' recipe called for 1 cup of cream and CL's for 1/2 cup. I should have gone with the whole cup because the dish was a little light on the sauce. It was tasty however. I marinated the pork tenderloin and sliced it in half lengthwise and then grilled it for about 8 minutes and sliced it. The pesto topping with chopped peanuts was good.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I'm still processing a lot of veggies from the garden - broccoli and zuchinni into the freezer, and I pickled cauliflower using a new recipe, and also made another batch of hot pepper relish. I also made linguine carbonara and a broccoli salad. And we ate stuffed peppers out of the freezer I was sick of cooking!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Saturday night dinner was one of my "grain bowls." I sautéed red bell pepper and mushrooms in grapeseed oil, then added a lot of broccoli florets. I cut up the leftover roast from earlier this week and added it and the leftover broth. I combined that with the cooked brown rice and sliced green onion over it before serving.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I made a stir fry with the 2nd part of some sirloin steak I bought earlier this week, with red and orange peppers, onion, pimentos, celery and water chestnuts, over rice.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

I found a recipe for a Harvest Salad that I ate for several days - red leaf lettuce, romaine, finely chopped Brussels sprouts, red grapes, avocado, nuts, blue cheese and vinaigrette - sometimes it amazes me how you'll see ingredients you like in a recipe and have to try it - such a simple combination in the right proportions and you wonder why you didn't think of it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.