What are You Cooking the Week of October 29, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 29, 2017?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday dinner, I will be roasting bone-in chicken breasts with peeled, cut-up sweet potatoes. I'll drizzle it with olive oil, rosemary, and maple syrup. I'll serve it with peas.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For lunch today, I'm using the basic recipe from Kid Pizza's Mother's Lentil and Spinach Soup:

I'll start with the onions and garlic sautéed on the stove, then put the Staub pot on the wood stove to cook there. It should be excellent with a slice of the bread I baked late last week.

Oops. Instead of frozen spinach, I have frozen broccoli. I may go ahead and use it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Late Monday afternoon, I cut my Cinderella pumpkin in half--vertically--removed the seeds, and it is now roasting. The interior was more dense than most of my pie pumpkins and drier, although perhaps that is because it has been sitting for about a month. Once it is roasted, I'll scoop out the pulp and run it in the food processor. Most of it will be frozen for later baking.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Wednesday dinner was Dilled Salmon and Couscous, because we started thawing a turkey a day later than we should have.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Thursday, I made "Crispy Roasted Garlic Potatoes" to go with the turkey my husband roasted. I've now made this recipe, from Cooks' Country three times, as my husband really likes it. I do skip the added clove of garlic at the end, as well as the lemon zest.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added information
              RiversideLen
              Participant

Tonight was a pizza. I have enough dough for 2 more.

navlys
                Participant

I made roasted pork tenderloin with apples and onions. There were a couple of recipes to choose from but I chose the recipe using the fennel seeds as I wanted to use up an old jar. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be parsimonious. It was good but I think thyme and rosemary would have been a better choice.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Navyly--as I found out when I tried a Sift recipe for rye bread with fennel seed, a little fennel goes a LONG way. I like using a bit on pizza, when I use cooked ground turkey, in order to imitate a sausage flavor.

On Thursday, I am making turkey broth, in a large Staub oval pan, on the wood stove, using the bones from yesterday's turkey.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I made chicken nuggets (or chicken maggots as my 4 year old calls them). This time I used BBQ sauce (it was a Kansas City sauce which may have been part of the problem) and panko bread crumbs.

I will try buttermilk and mayonnaise in separate batches. My oldest liked them, my middle did not, at least partly because of the BBQ sauce. My 4 year old would not eat them but can you blame her for not wanting to eat "chicken maggots"?

Thanks for the suggestions on quickening these up.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I needed a side dish to go with leftover turkey. I began by cooking six sliced mushrooms in about 1/2 Tbs. butter and 1/2 Tbs. olive oil. I removed them from the skillet. I added another 1/2 Tbs. of butter and mixed it with 1 Tbs. of flour. I added 1 cup of turkey broth, then 2 Tbs. heavy cream. I heated to a low boil, and cooked until it thickened. In the meantime, I cooked 6 oz. of a spinach fettuccine. I drained it (reserving a cup of the pasta water), then put 6 oz. of frozen broccoli (that I had sitting out in a strainer) atop it in the colander. When the sauce was done, I added the fettuccine, broccoli, and mushrooms to it, then added a 1/2 cup of pasta water that I had saved. It was delicious.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I just ate but BakerAunt, you just made me hungry with that.

I made pizza. Pizza dough consisted of about 20% rye, 20% semolina and remainder split between white and whole wheat (KAF WWW). The sauce was from my homegrown tomatoes. Cheese was Mozzarella and Queso. In between the sauce and cheese was some ground pork and fresh mushrooms. It was delicious.

pizza

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.