What are You Cooking the Week of October 22, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 22, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband cooked pork yesterday, so I will cut up the remainder and toss it with broccoli, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and the drippings from the pork with spinach linguini. Sliced green onion is sprinkled on top before serving.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We're still getting a few tomatoes from the garden, though bugs got the better part of the late crop, but I found enough tomatoes yesterday to do tuna melts for supper tonight.

BevM
        Participant

This afternoon I made Tuscan Vegetable Soup for my daughter and granddaughter's weekly visit. It is vegetarian for my granddaughter and is one I will make again.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

What do you use for broth to keep it vegetarian?

BevM
            Participant

Mike, I buy vegetable broth or I make it myself. It isn't much trouble to make and it freezes well. To be honest, I haven't read the ingredients on the one I purchase, but I really need to do that for my own peace of mind!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Yeah, always a good idea to read the ingredients list, though as I get older that gets progressively harder to do. Recently I tried to read a label that had tiny black print on a red background, I gave up and bought something else.

BevM
                Participant

Yea, I'm afraid I belong in that category. Standing in the aisle reading labels isn't an easy task and most of the time it's too crowded to stand in one spot for too long!!!

Italiancook
                  Participant

I made Beef Stroganoff from "Cook-Ahead Cookery" for tomorrow's dinner. I'll probably serve it over rice instead of noodles. I have a question for those of you who make Beef Stroganoff.

This recipe says to cut sirloin steam into 1/4" strips, which I do. It also says to soften the onions and mushrooms, then add the beef strips and cook only until they're brown on both sides. Then the sauce is added to the beef mixture and served.

The consistent problem I've noticed with this is that the beef is tough to chew even though it's sirloin steak. Tonight, I was thinking that maybe the beef strips really need to cook much longer in order to be tender to the teeth. When you make Beef Stroganoff, how long do you cook the beef, and how do you do it? Thanks!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Today I roasted three butternut squashes. I cut them in half and baked them at 375F for an hour and 20 minutes on a half-sheet pan lined with parchment. After they cooled a bit, I scooped the squash out of the skin and used my food processor to get a smooth puree. I got 7 cups. I froze one 3-cup container to use for soup, and kept one out to make soup this week. I froze a 1-cup container to use for a butternut squash Bundt cake recipe I want to try.

For dinner, I split a boneless chicken breast lengthwise, rubbed it with mayonnaise, then dipped it in Panko mixed with some garlic powder, onion powder, and chives. I would have mixed in grated parmesan, but I found that it has molded, so I had to throw it away.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Today for lunch I made curried butternut squash soup, using only the puree, some chicken/turkey broth, Penzey's Now Curry, and Stonyfield full fat yogurt. I like the flavor balance I achieved this time, so I now have a set recipe.

Italiancook
                        Participant

I made a pot of Cauliflower Pasta Soup from "The Romagnolis Table."

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Made a pot of Lima bean soup with left overs,was so good.We're just starting to get some cooler weather and it's so much better when it's cooler.In the mid 40's this morning.

KIDPIZZA
                            Participant

I made Beef Stroganoff from “Cook-Ahead Cookery” for tomorrow’s dinner. I’ll probably serve it over rice instead of noodles. I have a question for those of you who make Beef Stroganoff.

This recipe says to cut sirloin steam into 1/4″ strips, which I do. It also says to soften the onions and mushrooms, then add the beef strips and cook only until they’re brown on both sides. Then the sauce is added to the beef mixture and served.

The consistent problem I’ve noticed with this is that the beef is tough to chew even though it’s sirloin steak. Tonight, I was thinking that maybe the beef strips really need to cook much longer in order to be tender to the teeth. When you make Beef Stroganoff, how long do you cook the beef, and how do you do it? Thanks!

ITALIAN COOK:
                              Good afternoon my friend. First off, as a option you can cook the onions & mushrooms separately from the meat with flavored liquid of your choice...which I think is best because it gets done much sooner. NOW for the advantage of doing it that way...mix the meat together with the flour, WHY ????? because after you brown the meat about 1/2 way on low/med heat together with with some of the liquid from the onion/mushroom draining ( keep adding liquid from time to time so as not to burn... butter can be added as well) This method provides the automatic desired & much needed "ROUX" for your stew when added to your cooking vessel.

I know you will do it well... EZ enough.

~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

navlys
                              Participant

On Wednesday I made French Chicken in vinegar. I was going to serve it over what I thought was my spaghetti squash. Ok the squash was orange (clue #1) and then when I cut it in 1/2 it was orange and pretty solid (clue #2). I put the clues together and concluded that I didn't have a spaghetti squash. So I baked it the next day and mashed it with maple syrup and butter and it was yum. I served it with the swordfish that I marinated with my remaining potted herbs. I cooked the swordfish using my grill pan as it was too cold to grill outside.

Italiancook
                                Participant

Thanks, KIDPIZZA, for your stroganoff assistance. I've noted your suggestions so when I'm next in the mood for beef stroganoff, I can try your way. That may not be a year, though. Stroganoff has never been a craving of mine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.