What are you cooking the week of October 21, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of October 21, 2018?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're still in leftover mode here for another day or so.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For Sunday dinner, I roasted chicken thighs on a rack (and removed skin before eating). I made ratatouille for the last time this season, using our tomatoes, and two somewhat pitiful small bell peppers from our garden, along with yellow summer squash from the grocery, and two small eggplants, onion, and garlic from the farmers’ market. We had it over a mixture of brown and other rice.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Small pot of chili here.The first day it's been cool and breezy.69-70* today.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight it's potato soup and sandwich.

navlys
            Participant

Made lasagna and then cut leftovers into squares , froze them and placed individual pieces in freezer bags.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Yesterday I roasted a chicken that I seasoned with Herbes de Provence. I made a gravy with a little red pepper flakes which really perked it up. Had it with rice.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made Clam Chowder for lunch on Wednesday, using olive oil to sauté the onion. (I threw out the bacon grease when I went on the low-saturated fat diet). It was my usual recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I used two cups, unpeeled Kennebec potatoes from the farmers’ market. I used canned, chopped clams, but I prefer minced. The “secret” ingredient is celery seed, first added by my college roommate, who taught me to appreciate celery seed.

For Wednesday dinner, I soaked, then cooked a package of black-eyed peas—one of the few legumes that my husband enjoys. I also made a sauce for spinach noodles and broccoli using some defatted chicken-sweet potato drippings from the freezer, some onion, ½ tsp. dried sage, a couple Tbs. of my homemade pumpkin butter, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and a bit of the pasta water. Some rotisserie chicken completed the meal.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  navlys
                  Participant

That chowder sounds good. Thinking I’ll whip some up this week. Tonight we had marinated pork tenderloin, baked potato slices and puréed carrots with maple syrup and Penzeys pie spice. Tastee!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Made us a hamburger tonight.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made my Spaghetti Squash-Turkey Casserole [Lasagna] for Friday night’s dinner. I made the sauce with the last of our ripe tomatoes, but I was two pounds short and had to add a can of chopped ones from the store. It should last us for four nights. We had it with microwaved peas.

chocomouse
                        Participant

It's good to be back in the kitchen! Tonight I simmered chicken breasts with garden tomatoes, big chunks of onion, green peppers, and celery, and an assortment of herbs and spices, and served it over rice and with a green salad. There's plenty left to make a stew that will last several more meals.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I made Veal Marsala this evening, which we had over toast.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I made a round roast. I'll be eating off of it for the next several days.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.