What are You Cooking the Week of November 5, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of November 5, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Today, I'm planning to roast and process one of my two remaining pie pumpkins.

Spread the word
      BevM
      Participant

Today I have put on my Old Fashioned Beef Stew to simmer. Even though the weather is still warm, I have been wanting some with home made french bread. It is a recipe I found years ago and served to the family with french bread or biscuits.

navlys
        Participant

I made deli roast beef sandwiches. I bought a 2.6lb top round roast (a BOGO) and baked it for 30 min @500*.I let it rest and then sliced it with my old Krups slicer.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I roasted a pork rib roast today.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Monday night, I made my adaptation of a KAF recipe that appeared in one of those emails that they used to send out, but it was never put onto their site: Town Meeting Chicken Pie, using leftover turkey. I do not recall if I posted my version here. If I did, I cannot find it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Tuesday morning, I made soup for lunch on the wood stove. I used 4 cups of turkey drippings and about 2 cups of regular broth. I used 1/2 cup hull-less barley (available from Bob's Red Mill), 1 cup mixed lentils and peas, two chopped carrots, two chopped stalks of celery and a 1/2 tsp. of Penzey's dried garlic. I cooked the hull-less barley for 40 minutes in the broth before adding the lentils and the vegetables to cook for another 30 minutes.

It was a delicious soup on a cold day.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I cooked dry lima beans,potato salad,ham and corn bread for supper.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made spaghetti squash with marinara and meatballs last night. This spaghetti squash was tastier than the last one I did, not sure if it was a function of ripeness and how well cooked it was, or if we're just getting used to the taste of spaghetti squash.

navlys
                    Participant

We had burgers for dinner. Ok another "my bad" idea that I read and tried. I add a tbls. of corn syrup to a lb. of ground beef and it makes my burgers juicy and tasty. I actually grill about 6 or 8 burgers at a time. I bring the extras to room temperature,bag them in a sandwich baggies and then place those in a larger freezer bag. Then I microwave the burgers from the frozen or defrosted state and they taste almost better than freshly grilled. I can hear all the negatives about corn syrup and plastic baggies.

We also had omelets the other night and instead of water I added a tsp. or so of nonfat sour cream to the uncooked eggs and they came out fluffy and delicious

chocomouse
                      Participant

That's very interesting navlys, and yes, you do hear me thinking about not adding corn syrup to hamburgers! But, maybe, for a fresh, juicy burger. I have a pot of creamy tomato soup on the stove for tonight, recipe is from the Watts Team Room, via jej on the old old BC. It has been my favorite tomato soup for years. I've been away, and then had a rotten cold which still lingers, so I've not done much cooking lately. We've mostly been eating soups and casseroles from the freezer. We've enjoyed a new recipe, a macaroni-hamburger soup that is OK. Last night we had salmon on the grill, a spring greens salad, and herbed rice, which was a nice change. No grilling for a few days - the temp is supposed to drop drastically overnight.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For Friday, I made "Simple Pot Roast," using the recipe printed in Cook's Fall Harvest Recipes." I wanted to use my Le Creuset pot in the oven because I remember getting more even cooking than in my crock pot. A cold day is perfect for that. I used a round roast rather than a chuck roast. (My husband sees the fat and won't let me buy the chuck.) I sneaked in some chopped onion with the small amount of chopped celery and carrots in the broth. I also played with the spices by using dried rosemary, 1/4 tsp. smoky paprika from Penzey's, the Penzey's beef base with water, deleting the chicken broth, and adding 1 Tbs. tomato paste and 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce. For the vegetables, I used red potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms cut in half. The recipe requires the roast to be turned every 30 minutes, but when I added the vegetables after three hours, I did not turn it in the last hour. It was a wonderfully tender roast, and the vegetables were just right. It reminds me of why I prefer this method to using my old crockpot.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I prefer to add a little heavy cream if I have it (otherwise milk) to scrambled eggs, at the end so it stops the eggs from cooking further.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

As a side dish to a rotisserie chicken on Saturday night, I cooked 6 oz. of spinach noodles. I sautéed sliced mushrooms in butter, then added about a tablespoon of heavy cream and some pasta water. I drained the noodles and tossed them in the pan with that mixture. If I had been thinking, I would have added some minced parsley.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Let's see - on Thursday I made meatloaf and roasted asparagus and Nate made mashed potatoes. On Friday, I made sheet pan fajitas and yesterday, I tried a recipe for spinach lasagna roll-ups (same recipe on allrecipes and taste of home) to see if it would work for frozen casseroles for our bake sale. We taste tested the cheese/spinach filling and decided to use a teaspoon of kosher salt, ½ teaspoon Penzey's ground pepper and ½ teaspoon nutmeg - the recipe only called for a quarter of each and it was bland. We also added a couple of tablespoons more of parmesan. For our personal taste, we probably would have amped it up more, but we wanted it to have nice flavor, but not overpowering. The good news is that the 3 of us were pleasantly surprised by the recipe.

Tonight and tomorrow, I think we have more than enough leftovers!

S_Wirth
                                Participant

chocomouse...I'm always so glad to see your posts here and to read of your cooking and baking projects.

If you ever lose jej's tomato soup recipe, it is here:

https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/search/Watts+Tea+Room/

Years ago, jej lost her recipes so I copied all 95 or so of them and emailed them to her in 19 groups of five. So when the BC shut down, I moved all of her recipes here on this site. The link above counted as only one recipe of the 95. There are several other recipes in that link along with the tomato soup.

With all the chilly temps we are having, maybe someone else will enjoy using that soup recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.