What are you Cooking the week of November 11, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 11, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today is the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day. So what are you cooking?

I'm planning on making something with some veal stew meat tonight, probably with a wine sauce, possibly a wine and cream sauce.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Ham sandwich and home fries.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For Sunday dinner we had the leftover Squash, Kale, and Mushroom Pilaf with some browned ground turkey mixed into it. Steamed broccoli was the side dish.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had veal Zurich (white wine cream sauce) over spaetzle.

chocomouse
            Participant

My husband cooked chicken thighs and roasted potatoes on the smoker, and I heated up butternut squash from the freezer. It's down to 24* now, and still going down. Accumulating snow on Tuesday. Winter has arrived.

Mike, I miss the good food we had when we lived in Germany. Lots of spaetzle and veal.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Spaetzle is quite easy to make, and there's a good recipe for it on this site, it came from Grizzlybiscuits, who was an active poster back in the KAF days but disappeared a while before KAF pulled the plug, and never came over to this site, or as far as I know to Zen's site, either.

It's even easier if you get a spaetzle maker, best $15 I've spent in the kitchen in a while.

Spaetzle are pretty low fat as noodles go, though if you fry them that increases the fat. Sometimes when I make Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon recipe, which includes making her recipe for onions braised in beef stock, I will fry some of the spaetzle in the left over sauce from the braised onions. Wow!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Soup and sandwich last night and today we had black eyed peas,rice,more of that ham and corn bread.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Mike, you have me hungry for spaetzle.

I made a pizza, pepperoni, ground beef, red pepper and onion. Sauce was from my tomatoes that I had frozen. Was pretty good. I'll be having the same the next two days.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Joan is making me hungry for ham.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

BakerAunt I wish you were here to help eat it up.

Today I baked a pork tenderloin with that we had sour cream mashed potatoes and green butter beans.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

For Wednesday dinner, I made a variation of a recipe, Creamy Chicken and Pumpkin Rotini, that I found in America’s Best Pumpkin Recipes (p. 120), a publication of Centennial Kitchen that I found amid the cooking magazines about a month ago. This is the second recipe I’ve tried. I decided to make the pasta with sauce to go with a rotisserie chicken from the store. I altered the ingredients in that I used yellow rather than red onion, and I used my homemade pumpkin puree. I did not add salt, cinnamon or nutmeg, nor did I use a tsp. of hot pepper sauce, and I used dried sage rather than fresh. In place of ½ cup heavy whipping cream, I used low-fat evaporated milk. I used wholegrain rotini. I like the sauce, although it seems to me to need a little something more--perhaps a dash of nutmeg?. It went well with the chicken and steamed broccoli.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

More left overs here tonight...Baked ham,stewed squash and garden peas and carrots.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Cleaning out the freezer dinner. Husband had beef stew and I had cauliflower soup. And we each a Bacon Cheddar Bun from the batch I made yesterday.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had the pumpkin sauce rotini, with some sautéed half chicken breast pieces for Friday dinner, along with steamed broccoli. This is one of the three half breasts in the freezer that have the white striping. My husband cut out that out, and then I cooked them in grapeseed oil until browned. The chicken was good, but I’m not buying any large breasts again, and I will look carefully at what I buy.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Ham fried rice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.