What are You Cooking the Week of March 3, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 3, 2019?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Last of vegetable soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Spaghetti with mushrooms and cheese toast, using up some of the marinara, the rest will probably go in lasagna tomorrow.

Italiancook
        Participant

This morning, I made a double batch of jennycancook.com's Easy Cabbage Soup. She offered the option of using water, chicken, or veggie stock. She said she uses water. Since it was my first time with the recipe, I used water, too. The cooked cabbage tastes great, but with water, it's a little too bland for me. Next time, I'll use chicken broth.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made the lasagna for tonight, it went in the oven about 15 minutes ago, now I'm waiting to see how it came out. I haven't made a lasagna in several years, I made some mistakes that required me to do some on-the-spot adjustments and repairs.

It's huge, so I hope its tasty, a bunch of it may have to go in the freezer.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The lasagna is pretty tasty, fairly mild (by design.) My wife says it doesn't have enough mozzarella cheese, and something in it turned soupy, which has happened before. Could have been the spinach/ricotta filling or the fresh mushrooms, I suppose. My wife thought I might not have drained the noodles enough, but I don't think that's the case, I wrapped them in dishtowels to drain and almost couldn't peel some of them off afterwards.

We'll be eating leftover lasagna for a while, I made a 9 x 13 pan.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

chocomouse
                Participant

Dinner last was an assortment of salads: broccoli, gemelli with mixed veggies, seafood, and chicken-grape. This feed us another one or two meals also. Dinner this snowy night will be a top-round roast with potatoes, onions, and carrots with spinach, onion, garlic ciabatta from When Pigs Fly. I think I've found a recipe online that might be a close imitation of that delicious bread.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Chocomouse, I learned something new from you. I had to Google to find out what gemelli is. I've never seen it before.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Italiancook we both learned from Chocomouse and Google.I'd never heard of it either.

chocomouse
                      Participant

It's a pretty common pasta here in our Northeast grocery stores. I love to search through the shelves of pasta looking for new, odd shapes! I like gemelli because it holds the sauces well. Thank goodness for Google!!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

If you Google 'pasta shape chart', there are several posters of pasta shapes. (I've seen them on the wall in Italian restaurants.)

Popcharts makes some interesting charts, I have one that has a picture of every bird that can be found in the USA, over 700 of them. The only problem is some of the pictures are so small that you almost need a magnifying glass to see them.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I'm catching up what I did not get to add during my laptop's being out of commission.

For dinner on Saturday, I used the rest of the rotisserie chicken to make a stir-fry with vegetables and bulgur (cracked wheat).

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by BakerAunt.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.