What are you cooking the week of March 25, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of March 25, 2018?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Recently I've been using celery seed in a lot of my cooking, I think it would go very well with salmon and couscous. Savory and marjoram also go good together. (And parsley is good on almost everything!)

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had a Mexican casserole and bread and butter.Scrambled hamburger and onions till done drain any grease,season with salt and pepper.In a small pot heat one small can of enchilada sauce with some jalepeno's as much as you like or none at all and small jar of taco sauce or picante sauce.In 8x8 dish put a small amount of sauce,layer of torn corn tortillas,layer of meat ,sauce and shredded cheese,repeat 2 or 3 times and top with cheese,bake in oven for 20-30 minutes at 350*.We always just eat this with bread and butter.This recipe was one that my husbands uncle learned to make when they lived in Clovis New Mexico when he was in the Air Force many years ago.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Mike--Thanks for the spice suggestions. I certainly have celery seed, and I have marjarom too.

My husband cooked pork chops for dinner tonight. I made a noodle dish to go with it. I deglazed the pan in which he cooked the pork with a bit of white wine and water. Then I cooked sliced mushrooms in it until I'd reduced the sauce. I added a bit of heavy cream. I mixed in some cooked noodles and a bit of the pasta water. We had steamed broccoli as well.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had a simple stir fry and some rice. Still have one plate of hot cross buns to give away, two of our neighbors don't appear to be home. Maybe I'll take it 2 doors down in the morning, I don't really know that family, it's a fairly new house built 2-3 years ago, it was the last open lot on the block.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Dinner tonight is baked potatoes, boneless chicken breast rubbed with mayonnaise and coated with panko, garlic powder, onion powder, Parmesan, chives, and pepper. Steamed broccoli completes the meal.

navlys
              Participant

Chicken fajitas . Sautéed onions and peppers. Sprinkled chicken with taco seasonings and cumin and s&p. Stir fried chicken and wrapped all in microwaved flour tortillas. I spread a little mayo on the tortillas before wrapping .

chocomouse
                Participant

We had our Easter dinner tonight - baked ham, sweet potatoes, and cole slaw. We have to plan around maple sugaring, which often keeps my husband busy until late in the evening. He loves the ham because it gives him material for late night sandwiches when he gets home.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had spaghetti and meatballs tonight. I looked at some ham at the store this afternoon, but even the 'low sodium' one had 590 mg of sodium in a 2 ounce serving. :sigh:

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

There was a small area of sugar maples in NW Illinois where I grew up that the owner tapped every spring, we went out to the sugar shack a couple of times, you could smell it a half mile away.

chocomouse
                      Participant

There were no sugaring operations in that are of Illinois when I lived there in the 80s, although there were quite a few in Wisconsin. Our family has been making syrup for many years, at first gathering with buckets, then plastic tubing, and now we have added high-tech equipment and are expanding the sugar shack and becoming commercial. Not sure why, with all the significant weather changes, no one is sure if this business is sustainable. What will we do without maple syrup??!!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Well, this was in the 50's and early 60's. It wasn't a large operation, I think they only tapped a few hundred trees. Although I grew up in Hanover, I think the maple tree farm was closer to Galena.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.