What are You Cooking the Week of March 18, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 18, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

Tomorrow plan to made Calico Beans, to go with hot ham & cheese sandwiches, and coleslaw.

RiversideLen
      Participant

I made a compote from frozen cherries that I will use on yogurt.

For dinner I made a steak and spaghetti and used my last container of frozen sauce from last years tomatoes.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Tonight we had chicken divine,left turnips and pear salad with mayonnaise and cheese on top.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I tried a chicken experiment tonight.

I took 2 bone-in chicken breasts, skinned them, placed them on a bed of shredded carrot, spinach, celery seeds and mustard powder, sprayed the breasts with oil, dusted them with dill weed and poured in some white wine. Then I threw it in the oven for about an hour at 350.

Smelled great, probably needed more wine so there was more sauce and it could probably have used more carrots and spinach as well, but it was quite good. Served it with a salad.

Italiancook
            Participant

Your experiment sounds delicious, Mike.

I wouldn't call what I did today much in the way of cooking, but it's the most I've done in a while. Been eating food from the freezer. I made Blueberry Pancakes with cinnamon chips and cardamom for breakfast and for the freezer. While the pancakes were cooking, I put together Kelsey Nixon's (Cooking Channel) Slow-Cooker Irish Oatmeal. Her recipe calls for 3 bananas, but I don't like that texture. I use one banana, raisins, and one other fruit exchange. Today I had blueberries.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

No cooking here tonight we had chef salads with smoked turkey,ham,eggs,cheese and tomatoes and I made Thousand Island dressing.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Fried chicken breast,left over black eyed peas and macaroni and cheese.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We had a small spinach salad alongside Salmon with Dill and Couscous.

patty
                    Participant

Thanks all! Wonky, I’m in Savage. We are building a house in Stillwater so will be moving late this year. We have been in our current house 26 years in April. Good thing I’ve been culling stuff for the last 5. Still so much to pack though. And I’m SO ready for Spring!
                      I baked hamburger buns today and bake them every week for our sandwiches. Don’t know what happened today but I got less than stellar results. I watched the hydration and even thought it might have been too wet. They are edible but a couple degrees of separation from hockey pucks. Sigh. Sometimes you just have one of those days. ?

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by patty.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I wonder if being too wet was the reason they didn't rise well?

navlys
                        Participant

I did baby back ribs in crockpot. I take the sheath off the ribs, sprinkle them with various seasonings , pour in a little apple juice and then cover with bbq sauce 3/4 way through. Fall of the bone ribs.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made a small pot of vegetable soup and fresh pimento cheese sandwiches.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Today I made Spaghetti Squash and Parmesan Cheese Quiche from Ken Haedrich's The Harvest Baker: 150 Sweet and Savory Recipes, p. 189. We liked it and will make it again, with some caveats, which I write about on the Spaghetti Squash thread.

I liked the Buttermilk-Cornmeal crust that I adapted from a cornmeal pie crust recipe that came out of a Sunday paper magazine section one Thanksgiving years ago.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,rice-n-gravy and fresh cooked carrots.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Tonight I made boneless center cut pork chops, baked in the oven in a little butter and lemon, with a classic Sauce Robert. (Demi-glace, onions, white wine, dijon mustard)

This is the first time I've tried making Sauce Robert (possibly one of the oldest sauces in the repertoire), I was pleased that my wife liked it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.