What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Who's making an Irish-themed meal today? I'm doing something with corned beef and cabbage.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Count me out. I never acquired a taste for corned beef, but I sure love cooked cabbage.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My mother made corned beef hash a lot, it was an easy way to feed 6 kids on a budget in a hurry. We'd take turns grinding the onions and potatoes for it.

I like a good kosher corned beef, my wife prefers pastrami. (If I could get Montreal Smoked Meat here, that's even better.)

The vending machines at college had excellent corned beef on rye sandwiches, I'm not sure if Sinai 48 products are even still available, they were bought out by another company some years ago.

I also like a good reuben. (Local historians claim that the reuben was invented in Omaha.)

I've got a brisket, I'm going to roast most of it and put part of it in a corned beef and cabbage soup. (My wife doesn't really like cooked cabbage, so I'm not making a large pot of soup.)

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Nothing Irish here today,but I do love a good Ruben.

I like corned beef and cabbage also.
            We're having Taco Salad.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Joan Simpson.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The oven-roasted corned beef brisket was excellent, slow cooking rendered out much of the fat and it didn't boil out the flavor.

I put a sliced onion and some carrots and celery on top, cooked it for about 4 hours then cut a bunch of it off for the soup and put the brisket back in the oven for another 2+ hours. The roasted veggies went in the soup pot along with the cabbage, some diced potatoes, a bay leaf, thyme, basil and parsley.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I, too, enjoy a Ruben sandwich.

For my husband’s birthday dinner on Sunday, I made Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Swiss Chard, a recipe that I’ve made before that we both like. I did the prep early, but I still find that the meat tends to cool down too much while the rest of the barley-vegetable side finishes cooking. I’d like to find a way to keep it warm without the meat’s drying out; tenting it with foil on a warmed platter is not enough. We have plenty of leftovers for the early part of the week.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today I fried cubed pork,black eyed peas,rice and buttermilk corn bread and sliced thin raw onions soaked in vinegar we like to eat with the peas on top of rice.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had lavash pizza again tonight. (The lavash come 3 to a package.) Didn't have a tomato, so I put on some tomato sauce, which was an acceptable substitute.

chocomouse
                    Participant

For dinner tonight we had ribs and roasted potatoes on the smoker. With it, I had buttercup squash and my husband had candied carrots. We are busy making maple syrup these days, and meals are simply grab it when you can, so we've been having a lot of soups and sandwiches. It was really great to sit down for a nice meal.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Today I used up leftovers to make chicken-n-dressing,cranberry sauce and green beans.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made a rib eye steak tonight. Made some pasta, I had some left over tomato sauce, I put a few Shiitake mushrooms in it, it was real good.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had steak, mushrooms, baked potato and a salad for dinner tonight.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

We had salmon patties,cheese grits and left over garden pea salad.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made a provolone cheese burger on a freshly baked bun.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Today was a leftovers day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.