What are You Cooking the Week of March 11, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 11, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband is roasting a turkey for tonight's dinner (following in Chocomouse's footsteps from yesterday). I will make mashed potatoes with some Yukon gold potatoes, and we will have steamed broccoli.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Using up left over lima beans to make lima bean soup.It's so windy here today so soup is just what we need to stay warm.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making my eye of round roast today. I'm trying something a little different, I took an onion, cut it into wedges, and placed them beside the roast on the rack, hopefully they'll infuse some nice flavor into the meat.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made mushroom soup today, using a copycat recipe from Souplantation restaurants. It's my favorite and quick to make. With another nor'easter coming in tonight and tomorrow, we'll be living on mushroom soup and turkey sandwiches. This is our third major storm in about 7-10 days, although this one is predicted to drop only 10-15 inches, which is considerably less than the 18 we got from the last one.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The onions made the house smell wonderful and there was a subtle onion taste to the meat, and a slightly more noticeable taste in the gravy I made from the drippings.

We've decided we like eye of round better than tri-tip, and it's usually cheaper per pound, too.

navlys
              Participant

I made chicken fajitas with corn on the cob and cole slaw. I kinda cheated on the spice recipe but they turned out fine. Easy Peasy too.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had tacos tonight.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had fried chicken,green beans cooked with potatoes cut up in them and seasoned with bacon,creamed corn and carrot salad with raisins and crushed pineapple.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Dinner tonight was my Town Meeting Chicken [Turkey] Pie. We have enough leftover for several more meals. I made the biscuits that go on top with half whole wheat pastry flour and Pillsbury unbleached flour. I like that texture and will do it again.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Today we had fried cubed pork,green butter beans and a tomato,onion and bread casserole.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made mushroom soup earlier this week. Last night we had venison steak, risotto with aparagus, and beets.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

chocomouse, I gather you have power. My brother on Buzzards Bay was still without power. As he was on his back porch checking on the generator, a tree fell on his car and partially, but not badly on his house. Needless to say he was rather shaken as he watched it. Of course it didn’t fall on SIL’s car which is basically dead. I have a photo but I don’t know if I can figure out how to post it here - it’s in my messages. I tried to paste it but all it did was post the label

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by cwcdesign.
                            chocomouse
                            Participant

OH! Not only did the tree fall on his car, but he had to watch it happen! How terrible. We rarely lose power, because in recent years the power company has kept the tree limbs nicely trimmed back from the lines. Our internet service is down, and no idea when it will be fixed. This last storm wasn't bad, the snow was very fine and blowing around, so we got about 6 inches. The storm before, we got about 18. In the first storm, about 10 days ago, we had 12 inches. And now the weather channel is talking about the possibility of a 4th next Tues-Wed. But this is Vermont, and I prefer snowstorms over tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had hamburger vegetable soup and pimento cheese sandwiches.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Joan--when you said pimento cheese sandwiches, suddenly I was back in the kitchen in Norfolk, Virginia as a child, while my mother made pimento cheese sandwiches....

The weather today has been rainy, snowy, sleety, and now there are ice pellets. Temperatures are in the 30s this early afternoon, so my husband went ahead and started a fire in the wood stove at lunchtime. Not one to waste a good wood fire, I pulled the turkey bones and those from a chicken out of the freezer, and now I'm making broth to restock the freezer, as I'm down to my last (4-cup) container of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.