What are you cooking the week of July 8, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of July 8, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This week's thread for cooking.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I tried a new recipe, with several changes, for dinner tonight, penne with leftover thin sliced pork, broccoli, bacon, and a sauce made of half and half with parmesan. The flavor was excellent, but the texture of the sauce was off, I suspect because I used a pre-shredded parmesan instead of fresh.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Yesterday I made potato salad using tahini sauce. I made the sauce too thick, lesson learned for next time. It tastes good though. Also made a round roast. So dinner for the next several days are thin slices of roast beef with potato salad, just need to make a fresh veg. Nice easy meals.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Dinner tonight is Salmon with Couscous and Dill, along with steamed green beans from our garden.

navlys
            Participant

I made the CI maple roasted pork tenderloin. Loved the sauce but I thought it was a little time consuming. I think I would skip the cornstarch step and brown pork and bake in same pan with sauce.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Navlys--The CI Maple roasted pork tenderloin recipe that I like to make does not use cornstarch, and it does bake in the same pan as the sauce. It makes a very light sauce. I've found that the recipe works best in my stainless steel rather than my Calphalon pan. I always use the dark maple syrup for this recipe.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

After lunch on Wednesday, I made “All American Potato Salad,” a recipe from Cook’s Country (June 2006) that I got online (back when Cooks used to send us recipes in emails). It uses peeled Yukon Gold potatoes. I used 1-½ pounds waxy red ones from the farmers’ market and did not peel them. I had adapted the recipe a bit by slightly increasing the dressing. I use green onion, which my husband prefers, rather than chopped onion. It should have chopped celery, but I do not have any. The recipe calls for cutting up the potatoes and cooking them until tender. Then they are drained and put on a sheet pan where they are drizzled with a mixture of dill pickle juice and mustard. (I use Dijon, but the original uses yellow, which I rarely have in the house.) I let it cool for five minutes, then it is refrigerated for 30-40 min. The rest of the dressing ingredients are mixed with chopped dill pickle, onion, and celery, then the potatoes are added. It is refrigerated until well-chilled. I have a note that it is best overnight, but we will have it with dinner tonight.

To accompany the potato salad, my husband will cook boneless pork chops, and we will have more of the wonderful steamed green beans from our garden.

chocomouse
                  Participant

My all-time favorite dressing for potato salad (which I made yesterday) uses Penzey's Italian dressing base (NOT Italian seasoning) - it's wonderful. I sprinkle it (a generous tablespoon for 4-5 medium size potatoes) on the cut up still warm potato and egg pieces, toss it gently, and put it in the refrigerator for an hour more or less. Meanwhile I mix mayo, Dijon, with chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper (any color works). When the potato is cool, I add the dressing. I know you use Penzey's, so maybe you have some of that Italian base on hand!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Haven't been cooking much,eating out of the freezer.I made pulled pork sandwiches from BBQ that was frozen and chips.

navlys
                      Participant

I finally made the copycat version of of PF Chang’s chicken lettuce wraps. (Damn Delicious on Pinterest). The recipe called for grated ginger which I would reduce in future and I would use less salt if any. Very tasty and quick to make.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

If it is overly salty and has a lot of ginger, it may be a pretty close knock-off recipe. :sigh:

navlys
                          Participant

Mike, I don’t think it’s your type of recipe anyway.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Today I made a pasta salad to be served tomorrow, with small penne pasta, grated carrots, chopped celery, red bell pepper, shallots and grape tomatoes.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Burgers on the grill.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We had leftover boneless pork chops again. That was deliberate, as we don't like to cook every night. We had steamed green beans from our garden, which used up the current batch. We had finished the potato salad yesterday, so I sautéed some mushrooms in butter, then added a bit of heavy cream and some pasta water, before mixing them with some spinach noodles and a bit of pepper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.