What are You Cooking the Week of January 14, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of January 14, 2018?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We will be eating some of our delicious leftovers tonight, but for those of you who are starting the week anew, here is the cooking thread.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Today I made a beef round roast. I'll be having roast beef for the next several days.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made farfelle and marinara with ground beef, onions, peppers, and chopped cauliflower. I wasn't sure about the cauliflower, but since it does not have a strong flavor, there is plenty of it in the freezer to be used up this winter, and I'm always looking for ways to add more veggies to our diet, I thought why not give it a try. It was really good and I'll do it again.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Breakfast for supper here tonight.Grits,eggs,sausage and grilled on top of stove toast.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

We had another four inches of snow last night, and there is still snow coming down. I pulled the bones from our Christmas turkey out of the refrigerator, and I am making turkey stock on the wood stove.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Easy supper here tonight BLT"s and french fries.BakerAunt I feel for all ya'll with that snow,so glad we don't get it here except every 20 years or so and then it's very little.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

For breakfast I made a spinach omelet with mozzarella cheese. Then I got to play in the snow, with the snow blower. For dinner I cubed a sweet potato and roasted it and had it with left over roast beef and brussels sprouts. Simple but good.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Riverside Len;
                    How do you cook a beef round? Isn't it tough without the fat found in chuck? I've cooked Eye of Round but not the other cuts.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

With a lean cut like round, a slow roasting should work. I usually stick to eye of round, because it slices well for sandwiches.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Today I'm making a "use up all the vegetables in the house" (chopped red and orange bell pepper, celery, carrots, green onions, mushrooms) soup on the wood stove, using turkey stock, the leftover ground turkey from last night, and some pearl barley.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Last night we had ribs (cooked on the grill on the deck with the temp about 20*) and oven roasted veggies. Tonight I made Shepherd's Pie - with ground beef, whole kernal corn and mashed potatoes with lots of onions and garlic.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Skeptic, I cooked it the same way I cook eye of round. I follow a method I saw on ATK or Cooks Country, which is to roast it low and slow. And I mean low. While they recommend searing the meat on a skillet first, I found that produced a lot of splatter to clean up so I don't do that any more. First, I remove it from the package at least a day ahead of time and sprinkle it with kosher salt. I may pepper it at that time too. Cover and refrigerate for a day or three. ATK said that was an important step in making the meat tender. Then I roast it at 225 f until it reaches 10 degrees less then my destination temp, in my case until 135. Of course I use a thermo probe in the meat so I know when the temp is reached. Then I remove it from the over and cover loosely with foil. It will come up 10 - 12 degrees over the next 30 minutes or so.

Of course, slice it thin. I haven't noticed that it suffers any from not having a pre-sear.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Tonight I'm roasting a half-chicken with sage, rosemary and thyme seasoning. I'll probably throw the other half of the chicken in the stockpot tomorrow for soup. (It was a big bird, about 7 pounds.)

I'm no longer sure there's much point to searing the outside of a roast before cooking it. It doesn't "hold in the juices" as was incorrectly stated by German chemist Justus von Liebig in 1847 and then repeated for the next 150 years. All it really does is make sure that the outside is more well-done than the rest, and I'm far from convinced that's a good thing.

luvpyrpom
                              Participant

This week did a little bit more cooking. Made ham & bacon fried rice, pan fried tri tip steak strips (really burnt pan and needs to cook longer than 6 min) - tried it a second time in a George Foreman grill and better results with that. Mid-week we had sautéed zucchini with chicken and mabo tofu. Last night made beef pot roast served over rice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.