What are you cooking the week of February 4, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of February 4, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today is Super Bowl Sunday, are you making anything special? I'll be doing a top round roast for supper, and maybe a small batch of popovers, but it's just the two of us, no Super Bowl gathering this year.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I have a pork roast in the oven for pulled pork BBQ,will be making baked beans and coleslaw.My sister has been with us for a few days and have enjoyed our time together.

Getting lots of rain here now and TV is out but surely will be back on in time for Super Bowl.

navlys
        Participant

I made bacon wrapped smokies for our friends’super bowl party. Our condo has a cocktail party every Friday so I can test some new recipes.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Being Patriots fans, we’re just hanging at home or elder son would have to go out to the bars - he doesn’t enjoy his football with lots of other people.

I made a pot of my barley vegetable soup and realized that I’ve been doing something wrong for the last two batches. I’ve been using olive oil instead of vegetable oil and I have charred the vegetables which turns the broth a muddy color and changes the taste somewhat. Obviously, the olive oil has too low a smoking point for this recipe. The original recipe called for vegetable oil, but for some reason I dropped the ‘vegetable’ when I typed it up. The recipe now has a note in marker that reminds me to use vegetable oil.

I’m also going to try a recipe for cheeseburger sliders tonight. Will report on that tomorrow. We should have plenty of leftovers for a couple of days.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

No party here, either. Made chicken bagel pizzas for lunch today. Tonight's dinner will be pan fried cod, sugar snap peas, and brown rice. Probably will be cooking more this week than baking.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm making a variant on veal marsala tonight using some stew meat veal, which needs a longer cooking time than veal cutlets. So I cut it up into fairly small pieces, lightly browned it, threw in some veal stock, onions, mushrooms and marsala and stuck it in the oven. It smells pretty good so far.

Followup: It was delicious, If I can continue to get the stew veal meat at the store I'll definitely make this again.

Italiancook
                Participant

For lunch, I made skillet French Toast with leftover Cuban Bread. It took so long that I decided it was my last time making French Toast in a skillet. I'm going to start searching the web for a Baked French Toast recipe. I've seen this done on TV, but I think they started with challah. I want a recipe that uses whatever leftover bread I happen to have on hand.

For dinner, I baked chicken pieces and served with cooked and raw veggies.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had Spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.
                    Italiancook when I make french toast I use whole milk ,an egg or two, some sugar, a squirt of syrup beat well and use whatever bread we have which is honey wheat for me.I have a griddle with my stove top after it's hot melt butter on it dip bread in egg custard ,cooks for about 5 minutes each side and it's good and crisp on edges and so easy.I don't put cinnamon in mine just my preference.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

How thick did you have the bread sliced? If it's too thick, it never seems to get done in the center.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

There was a high of 20F today. I made a large pot of stew--doing the simmering on the top of the wood stove. My taste buds say that it needed some more of the seasonings, although my husband, who likes mild seasoning, thought it was fine. I was distracted because Microsoft's latest updates removed the word processing program--not to mention all the other programs--as well as the sound.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I fried chicken tenders that had been soaked in buttermilk,baked potato and lettuce and tomato salad stirred up with mayonnaise.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Tonight I'm roasting chicken legs with cut up sweet potatoes on a parchment lined sheet pan. I drizzled everything with olive oil, then maple syrup, sprinkled on rosemary, pepper, and a dash of salt. We will have it with steamed broccoli.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

I made slow cooker cilantro lime chicken for tacos, only we didn’t make tacos. Will had his over rice. Then I roasted asparagus that was on sale today.

Italiancook
                              Participant

I made Sugo di Aspergi (asparagus sauce) from "Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking." It's for a pasta lunch tomorrow. The recipe goes with homemade pasta, but I'm going to serve it with dry pasta and see if it works. It's a delicate sauce.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Tonight I baked a half sirloin roast with a can of mushroom soup over it,rice and fried okra.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.