What are You Cooking the Week of February 11, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of February 11, 2018?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I fried cube steak that had been soaked in buttermilk,boiled potatoes and thickened a sauce to go over them and creamed corn.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I tried the baked salmon with dill and couscous today, because my wife had an appointment after work and will pick up something for herself for supper. I didn't have any olive oil, so I used corn oil, butter might have been a better choice. It had a nice salmon flavor, more than what I get when I poach salmon in butter, but without adding salt I think it needs something else, not sure what, maybe some parsley or rosemary. I might try the recipe for two with cod. (My wife's reaction was 'two out of three sound good', she doesn't care for salmon.)

cwcdesign
        Participant

Last night I broiled salmon and roasted cauliflower. Tonight I made a salad with the lwftover salmon and the lemon Caesar dressing

RiversideLen
          Participant

Tonight was roasted salmon. Seasoned with a little salt and pepper, roasted at 400 degrees convection, came out really moist and tender. Had brussel sprouts and carrots and some macaroni seasoned with a little soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

BakerAunt
            Participant

It's been a week for salmon! So far, four of us featured it in a main dish this week.

Mike--I do usually sprinkle a little salt and some freshly ground pepper over the salmon and couscous (I use the golden couscous from Bob's Red Mill) before I bake it. I also think that the olive oil gives it some flavor. If you cannot use olive oil, you might try grapeseed oil, although it is a neutral oil. Let us know how the recipe works with other fish and if you find an additional spice to brighten it up.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I have one small bottle of olive oil, I don't remember the last time I used it. (It's in the fridge so the oil is solid.)

A close friend of ours is allergic to olives (as is my brother-in-law) so we just don't use it much, and I don't really care for the taste of it. I'm currently using corn oil instead of canola oil, corn oil has almost no flavor.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Tonight, I made Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Swiss Chard, from the special issue of Cook's Illustrated Fall Harvest Recipes, that I bought in the autumn (p. 22). It's the third time I've made the recipe, and the first time that I've had all the specified ingredients. The first time, I did not have pearl barley or Swiss chard, the second time I did not have Swiss Chard. When we made our run to the next town on Wednesday and went by three of the four grocery stores (Aldi's, Walmart, and Kroger), I found Rainbow Swiss Chard at the Kroger, organic at that, from Salinas, CA. (I really do not understand how anyone can hope to shop locally.)

The recipe is delicious. It does seem to take about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish, so I'll make a note of that. However, we should get about four meals out of it. I used my 5 1/2-quart Le Creuset Dutch oven. My only modification for the recipe, is that I think the roast needs to be turned half-way through in order to get even cooking. I also use the whole butternut squash. I did not notice a great deal of difference with the Swiss chard as opposed to the frozen mustard greens I used the first two times, although to my taste, the Swiss chard is somewhat milder and preferable.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had BBQ chicken in pot on top of stove cooked with a little water and seasonings,salt,pepper,onion flakes and poured BBQ sauce over and simmered till sauce was thick for gravy over mashed potatoes and we finished off left over garden pea salad.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm making roasted bone-in skinless chicken breasts with rosemary, basil, sage and thyme tonight.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had fried salmon patties with cheese grits and green beans.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Congratulations, Joan. That makes you the fifth poster to serve salmon this week!

luvpyrpom
                          Participant

LOL, no salmon for this week. Does shrimp count? I had made spicy beef curry at the beginning of the week, ran out of the beef before I could finish the veggies and sauce so added shrimp as the protein for the leftovers. Then made oven roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts to go with the rotesserie chicken I had picked up from Costco. Today I made Buddha's Deilight or jai as it's pronounced in Cantonese. It's a vegetarian dish - made with mushrooms, rice noodles, tofu, and other vegetables. We only make it once a year for Chinese New Year.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.