What are You Cooking the Week of December 31, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 31, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We have plenty of leftover turkey pie for dinner, but for those of you who are cooking this New Year's Eve, here is the thread.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I tried a new recipe that I had bookmarked from skinnytaste.com. It’s a slow cooker Moroccan Chicken & Olive Tagine. It’s a definite keeper. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs and after they were cooked, I chopped them up and tossed the chicken back in the sauce. Lots of healthy cooking on that site, so I’m planning to explore the site some more. Tuesday, I need to start my two week refresh on South Beach to get back on track.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Made a pot of Brunswick Stew which will be enough for several days.

skeptic7
          Participant

I decided to try something new with a boneless Beef Chuck. The Washington Post gave the same recipe for use in a slow cooker and a pressure cooker. I cut the 3 lb roast in half and tried it in both. The Pressure cooker cooked for 15 minutes at pressure and then sometime as it cooled down naturally. The slow cooker was allowed to cook on slow for 9 hours. I will be eating the results today after removing the fat. Normally I remove all fat before starting but this time I left it in for taste and to have a whole chunk of beef.

Here is the whole article that led me on and the recipes
            https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-instant-pot-is-a-hit-but-what-if-you-have-a-recipe-that-wasnt-designed-for-it/2017/01/09/8a64390e-d377-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html?utm_term=.4a5dc1fd66b1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/tea-braised-chuck-roast-ginger-and-orange-pressure-cooker-version/15699/?utm_term=.10d1701f3e44

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/tea-braised-chuck-roast-ginger-and-orange-slow-cooker-version/15700/?utm_term=.9aa86c367a45

One of the annoying things about this recipe is it calls for Lapsoung Souchong Tea, which is horribly expensive -- not as expensive as some seasonings but the minimum amount was 1/4 pound which ran to $20.00 This is part of my N.Y resolution to try new things and get out of my rut.

Has anyone cooked regularly with pressure cookers? Mine is the stove top variety and not the electric type. What does it do badly? What does it do well?

Italiancook
            Participant

I made Chicken Fried Rice for the freezer this morning, with one lunch held in the fridge. In a few minutes I'm going to make The Neely's (Food Network) Broccoli Soup for the freezer and dinner.

chocomouse
              Participant

cwdesign, thank you so much for posting about the Moroccan chicken recipe. I love to cook in my tagine! The traditional flavors are so different from what I normally use - cumin, cardamon, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I'm going check out the recipe and site right now!

cwcdesign
                Participant

chocomouse, will likes this recipe cuz it’s not as sweet as others

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For New Year's Day dinner, I again made the "One-Pan Pork Loin Roast Dinner" that I first made the week of December 3. (The recipe is in Cook's Fall Harvest Recipes, p. 24.) This time I had pearl barley (ordered a case!), and the consistency is much better than with the instant barley I had to use the first time. I again used frozen mustard greens, and I used a whole butternut squash rather than a half. In addition to tasting delicious, it makes a stunning presentation on the plate. It is a perfect dinner for a day when the temperature did not get above 4F, and it is now below 0.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

No cooking here today,more of the Brunswick Stew.Broke tradition ....no blackeyed peas for New Years day.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Today I made a pork rib roast. I seasoned it with a little kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper and maple sugar. It came out great. Also made fresh green beans, diced roasted sweet potato and noodles.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Skeptic7: How did the two roasts come out, and what did your comparison suggest about crock pot vs. pressure cooker? How was the tea flavoring?

I also get irritated with recipes that call for an unusual and often expensive ingredient. It's worse now that I live much further away from well-stocked stores. (I'm still hoping to find Wolfe's medium kasha when we travel so that I can try Dorie Greenspan's Buckwheat Bars recipe--not to mention her other two Buckwheat cookie recipes.) I usually want to know that I can use such an ingredient in other recipes. When I needed Chai tea for a Bundt cake recipe from Bake from Scratch, I bought the KAF chai seasoning, since KAF has a couple of recipes I can also try, and I'm not a chai tea drinker. I wish that recipe writers would 1) Explain exactly why it must be that ingredient (Greenspan does), 2) Where it can be ordered if it is not readily available, and 3) What a possible substitution might be.

navlys
                          Participant

I am cleaning out the freezer for our annual trek to a warmer climate so I am going to try Milk St.'s chicken salad recipe with miso. I bought some miso at the Asian market and now I have to find something to do with it.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Navlys, I hope you are plannng to go to a warmer clime than SE Georgia. We’ve had freezing temperatures for the last few days- 18 degrees yesterday - that’s Massachusetts weather to me! Lots of ice and black ice here, loss of power. People couldn’t get over the causeway to come to work. We had to close the Market where I now work and head over to the hotel to fill in. We were supposed to get flurries but they haven’t appeared - it snowed in Savannah and Jesup, GA which is just NW of us. It should be back in the 50s next week.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Dinner tonight was boneless pork chops, with an orange-cranberry raisin sauce.

navlys
                                Participant

CW Sorry to hear about your weather. We will be going through Georgia on our way to Florida. My in-laws go to Pawley's Island S.C. for the winter to escape the N.H. snow. They were supposed to fly out of Boston at 5am. tomorrow. The weather in S.C. isn't looking too good either.

Ps. Really liked the chicken salad with miso.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.