What are You Cooking the Week of December 3, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 3, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We're having delicious leftovers tonight, but for those of you cooking Sunday dinner, here is the thread.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made a sheet pan chicken Parmesan with broccoli that was really successful. It’s nice to have leftovers after work today- the start of my first full week.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made a small pork roast today. Also made some roasted potatoes in a cast iron skillet, they came out pretty good.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Sunday morning I was making pancakes and boy did I screw them up!I was in a hurry got flour.salt,sugar,oil,egg,buttermilk and was suppose to use baking soda but I grabbed cornstarch.mixed them up and after they cooked they were thin as a quarter pale in color and almost rubbery.Took me awhile to figure out what I did,trash can was happy lol!

Tonight I made pork tenderloin ,mashed potatoes and cooked carrots.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

You can make a pretty good gluten-free crepe with cornstarch instead of wheat flour, but it sounds like the texture of these was unpalatable.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Mike I've never made crepes or have eaten any either.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Joan--oh, yes, we've all had that experience of somehow getting our hands on the wrong ingredient....

As I've said before, anyone who has not made a mistake in the kitchen either does not cook or bake or is fibbing.

navlys
                  Participant

Well, I made the turkey breast in the crockpot which I alluded to in an earlier post. I wanted to recreate a Thanksgiving feast with mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, cranberry sauce etc. Unfortunately my new crockpot cooks really fast on low and the turkey timer popped earlier than expected. The recipe called for 6-7 hours which was right on in my former crockpot and the turkey was done in 5. It was also a little dry which means it was probably done earlier. Grrrrr.....!

By the way can cranberry sauce be frozen?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Have you ever had a blitz? Same ingredients, different toppings.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I would guess that cooked cranberry sauce could be frozen. I always make one with raw cranberries, which might not work for freezing.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Joan, A few years ago I bought a bag of buckwheat flour from KAF. Eager to make pancakes I carefully followed the directions on the package. While they were on the griddle something didn't look right. I plated them, put on a little bit of butter and some real maple syrup. Tasted flat and the texture was dense. Then I figured it out, I forgot the baking soda.

Stuff happens..........

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

No blitzes either.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I have a question, I'm not too experienced with cooking sweet potatoes. I want to cube some in appr 1 inch pieces, along with white potatoes, toss them with oil and roast them together. Am I correct in thinking they will cook at the same rate, both be done at about the same time?

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Riverside Len I don't know as I cook mine either in the oven,microwave or boil.

Tonight I made potato soup,fried 3 pieces of bacon crisp removed and chopped up put back in pot with celery,onions and carrots chopped fine,had no chicken stock so I added water and 3 chicken bouillon cubes,cooked that till done then added 3 cubed potatoes till done and added cornstarch to thicken up and a splash of milk was so good.

Baker Aunt,Riverside Len I agree with you there's stories to tell of cooking mistakes or accidents.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Riverside Len--I have done pan chicken with both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes (not together). They do seem to roast in the same time as long as they are cut to the same size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.